Is LÖVE really necessary?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
someguy99
Prole

Re: Is LÖVE really necessary?

Post by someguy99 »

Knowing C++ and using Ogre3d and Irrlicht 3d engines i still use LOVE for 2d platformers.Why?Because its damn easy.Plus modern PC are so fast that speed isnt really a problem.Plus,do you know any other realtime gpl 2d engine with Lua scripting?And im not really into learning Allegro.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

So far I've been programming since 1996 and I have to say that Love has become probably the best tool I've ever used for game creation. It easily edged out some of the other stuff and has even managed, which I thought would be impossible, to edge out my long-time favorite HyperCard. Frankly I have yet to see a better planned and better thought-out engine. The only thing I'd like to see is a little more focus and emphasis on the documentation. Clearing it up and making it less sparse with a larger example base would be great.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
TheMyst
Prole

Post by TheMyst »

I was attracted to LOVE by its built in physics engine, use of Lua, and how simple the functions are. Plus, it's open source and free!. That's something flash can't compare to. I do feel that this engine needs more TLC before it gets to commercial level, but I am positive that some pretty amazing games can be made with it regardless. IMO, anything that can be made with Game Maker can be made with LOVE, and then some. The one thing that it doesnt have are functions related to A*, now that's gonna be a bitch unless I figure out another way to make AI.
Sslaxx
Citizen

Post by Sslaxx »

TheMyst wrote:I was attracted to LOVE by its built in physics engine, use of Lua, and how simple the functions are. Plus, it's open source and free!. That's something flash can't compare to. I do feel that this engine needs more TLC before it gets to commercial level, but I am positive that some pretty amazing games can be made with it regardless. IMO, anything that can be made with Game Maker can be made with LOVE, and then some. The one thing that it doesnt have are functions related to A*, now that's gonna be a bitch unless I figure out another way to make AI.
Indeed, but for an engine that's just at 0.5, it's really come along very well indeed.
TheMyst
Prole

Post by TheMyst »

Indeed it has.