LÖVE needs a wiki and a ticket system

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: LÖVE needs a wiki

Post by qubodup »

So I took a look at some of the ticket system used by some open source games (or non-games, when I couldn't find a game that used them). I link to each "submit new issue" form, as I think that it's the most important thing to look at. When login is required to access the ticket submit form, I link to a screenshot of it.
Notice the wide span between Bugzilla and Google Code.

See all screenshots in this set.

Please don't take these examples too serious, I'm sure the ammount of fields in many of these examples is not always the default set and can be configured.

For me, the main thing is that it's easy for the bug reporter to provide the info, without having to know what a branch or milestone is. Also I think that instead of "version: DROPDOWNMENU" it should be "What version is your copy of LOVE? DROPDOWNMENU".

I think the following is important to ask from the user:
  • Operating system
  • LÖVE version
  • Description
Having a default text like the one in Google Code might be a good idea.

What would you consider a good ticket-submitting dialog?

My vote ATM is for Trac regarding tracker and MediaWiki regarding wiki (although Trac would be fine too IMHO).
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
rude
Administrator

Re: LÖVE needs a wiki and a ticket system

Post by rude »

http://love2d.org/wiki

Qubodup, you need to log once in so I can Sysop your ass.

I've also looked at Trac, but it has too many dependencies and requires shell access to install. I would prefer something written in PHP and installable in a browser. Maybe we'll create a small custom system.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

rude wrote:Qubodup, you need to log once in so I can Sysop your ass.
k, I did.
rude wrote:Maybe we'll create a small custom system.
Just so I don't forget later: the bug reports and replies to them must have emoticons in the sense of "my current mood" for fun effects.
:cry: Why is it not working?

:x Fix this crap!

:shock: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

^^ Oh thankyouthankyouthankyou...
It might be good if the icons did not have word descriptions, so that the emotion is directly connected to the image, instead of the word behind it. /me speculates
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
1stAnd10
Prole

Post by 1stAnd10 »

The downside of Wiki's and game engines is that whenever a company or group puts up a wiki for their engine, they use the wiki as an excuse to not provide "official" documentation any longer.

To be an open source engine I think the LOVE documentation online is superb and is a HUGE reason why I decided to use it. Please don't stop doing that even with a wiki.
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

The wiki will have more readable documentation with tutorials and such, but the reference manual isn't going away anytime soon. I find it VERY useful.
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
rasjani
Prole

Post by rasjani »

My vote goes for Trac. It has git support too (no idea what you guys use) + its own wiki implementation.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I added a page! :P
Seriously though, why isn't anyone using the wiki? This many requests and... nothing?!
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

bartbes wrote:I added a page! :P
Seriously though, why isn't anyone using the wiki? This many requests and... nothing?!
We assume, that as long as it's not LOVEstyled, it could be purge-re-installed any day :)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

I may skin it (later), but it will not be purged, don't worry.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

In that case, please add - <a href="http://love2d.org/wiki">Wiki</a> to the top.

My reasoning: having the wiki one click far will result in editing it when they think "hey this might be a good thing to add to the wiki!" (otherwise the task of finding the wiki link or editing the url might change their mind "meh, not worth it!")