Game Idea

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
ntpspe
Prole

Re: Game Idea

Post by ntpspe »

My project I'm working on at the moment is similar to Terraria, it's called uCreate (the u because it'll work on ubuntu :P) and the whole project started because I can't play Terraria on my computer (got it set up and everything, THEN XNA tells me my gfx card isn't supported T_T ) Therefore I definately have an interest in the project, and I'm dedicated to getting it up and running.
I've already got a working random map generator, all that needs doing now is:
*Increasing the map size
*Drawing the player character in the map
*Updating the map when variables change (which is really bugging me, I can get say, tile 1 to change to 0, but it's not drawing it :/ )
*Collisions between the blocks and such

Then all I need to do is setting up the inventory, monsters and items :) It's definitely a feasable idea, though I guess our two projects will be in competition ;) haha
tsturzl
Party member

Post by tsturzl »

Thats a pretty tough concept to implement, its pretty hard to implement drawing.

I guess a good concept would be use an array to represent every pixel on the screen or in the drawing area, and use different numbers to refer to different colors the player can use to draw them, then every pixel the player has mouse-button-1 pressed down over you write the current selected color to the array/table at the corresponding area, then you serialize the drawing and create a redraw function. It might seem simple but its alot of work, especially redrawing it, and then you'd have to render it with your own code, because its not an image object, which would be very slow.

If you do implement this, I feel like you'd probably need a team.

Also, don't make clones, just take what you like from the game, don't build off it.

PS: if you do make drawable objects that can be rendered onscreen for gameplay, please make a library. It would be awesome.
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

Here's what I have at the moment in case you missed it in the other thread.

The terrain is already a little too similar to terraria for my liking, but i just wanted to get something up and running to play around with.
Attachments
DonGoLeftv0.22.love
(38.01 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
tsturzl
Party member

Post by tsturzl »

hey kraftman, I have a surprisingly easy way to implement drawing, though it might be a little hackish. Just change the color of blocks of pixels that the used clicks on, then use the screenshot function to take a picture of it. I'm not sure if Love supports this but set a colorkey for transparency to remove the white/black/whatever colored background from the image.
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

tsturzl wrote:hey kraftman, I have a surprisingly easy way to implement drawing, though it might be a little hackish. Just change the color of blocks of pixels that the used clicks on, then use the screenshot function to take a picture of it. I'm not sure if Love supports this but set a colorkey for transparency to remove the white/black/whatever colored background from the image.
Surely it'd be just as easy to have the drawn part written to a table, and then write that to image data?
middlerun
Citizen

Post by middlerun »

I'm working on something like that too if anyone's interested. Though I've never played Terraria so I'm approaching it more from a 2D Minecraft point of view. Here's what I've got so far.
Attachments
lovecraft.love
(42.15 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

middlerun wrote:I'm working on something like that too if anyone's interested. Though I've never played Terraria so I'm approaching it more from a 2D Minecraft point of view. Here's what I've got so far.
Doesn't seem to work.
middlerun
Citizen

Post by middlerun »

Damn, it works for me. Does your computer not like framebuffers?
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

middlerun wrote:Damn, it works for me. Does your computer not like framebuffers?
It works now, random. Looks like we are all working on pretty similar projects ><
SoggyWaffles
Citizen

Post by SoggyWaffles »

It didn't work for me and my computer doesn't like frame buffers. But that wasn't the issue, it seemed more like it was stuck in a loop or something. It never even crashed, just locked up. I didn't take time to look at the code, so no real help.
"Beneath the clouds lives the Earth-Mother from whom is derived the Water of Life, who at her bosom feeds plants, animals and men." ~Larousse