Game Idea

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
kraftman
Party member

Game Idea

Post by kraftman »

So I've been brainstorming an Idea for a while now and I can't decide whether to put more effort into it or not.

It would be heavily influenced by terraria, but with much more magic, and the ability to create your own weapons by drawing them out. I figured since people are always drawing things in terraria/minecraft, they might be interested in designing their own weapons, and then sharing them.

The idea is that the more you progress, the larger your canvas is in which you can design weapons. If you fill the canvas with a huge weapon and aren't yet strong enough to wield it, it would be very slow and not do much damage. The options for wielding could progress from swinging/stabbing through to being able to make weapons that fire projectiles and then designing the projectile.

I'm aware that it would be a pretty big project, but it's more about the learning process that it would involve. However I work much better when I'm motivated, so if i knew its something people would be interested in playing then I'll be more interested in learning to make it.

Sorry for the braindump, let me know your thoughts or if something exactly the same already exists.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Game Idea

Post by Robin »

kraftman wrote:if i knew its something people would be interested in playing then I'll be more interested in learning to make it.
Do you want to play it? That is the important question. Don't make the game other people want to play, make the game you want to play.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

Robin wrote:
kraftman wrote:if i knew its something people would be interested in playing then I'll be more interested in learning to make it.
Do you want to play it? That is the important question. Don't make the game other people want to play, make the game you want to play.
The problem is when you get thinking about something you can easily convince yourself it's a really good idea, then you talk to someone else about it and they point out all the flaws and you wonder what you were ever thinking.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

That is very true.

I think the concept would be hard to pull off, but it would probably pretty epic if you can do that. But that's a big if.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

But, undoubtedly you'll learn a lot, and not just about coding, or game coding in particular, but also about game design etc. You can start and see where it ends. I think tons of people here can say they have unfinished projects lying around, but it doesn't mean they didn't teach us.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

Take bartbes' advice and go for it. I have a massive pile of unfinished projectss but I can say with certainty that each project taught me something new about LOVE, Lua, or programming in general.

Each time you figure something new out and apply it to the next project in some way you grow as a developer.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

I would say "Why not, try making a prototype" IF you have an idea about how to handle the drawing system and how to parse a drawing into an in-game item. If you don't know how you'd do it, it may be more advisable to follow other ideas.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Towerfiend
Prole

Post by Towerfiend »

Generally you should stick to simpler projects starting out, then you start working on more complex, and amazing works.

And never forget that you're the primary demographic, but doing something others would enjoy/like can help your work immensely.
LuaWeaver
Party member

Post by LuaWeaver »

Towerfiend wrote:Generally you should stick to simpler projects starting out, then you start working on more complex, and amazing works.

And never forget that you're the primary demographic, but doing something others would enjoy/like can help your work immensely.
I started with one a bit too hard. (TTB). I plan to pick it up later, and use it. I need an idea for something simpler though. Maybe I could do connect 4, like I had originally planned.
"your actions cause me to infer your ego is the size of three houses" -finley
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Know thyself. If you know you'll grow bored of it, it might be a good idea to do something simpler. But of course, having unfinished projects isn't all that bad either. If you, on the other hand, think you'll finish it, the go for it because it sounds great :neko: