Thoughts about love?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: Thoughts about love?

Post by TechnoCat »

The 0.4 release was posted on Reddit. I bookmarked it, only to find it in my bookmarks about a year later when 0.5 was already out.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I honestly don't remember how I ended up here.

I remember seeing it twice. The first time I just browsed the forum slightly, and then moved away.

The second time, though, I actually took the time to create an account, find a good avatar,etc. (Here's my first post from 2009).

But my carbon-based memory is very bad. I don't really remember the details. I do remember that at some point I thought that LÖVE was somehow related with the MMOG. I was very confused :ultraglee:
hryx wrote:Renoise (cosmically epic, life-changing music software)
I've heard about it before. And it works on linux! That's very nice.
When I write def I mean function.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

I was looking into 3d frameworks, and someone mentioned Love on shamusyoung.com, and so I gave it a look. It wasn't 3d, but it did have some neat features, so I decided to give it the old college try. After pouring untold hours into Kurosuke and burning out for a bit, I decided to stick around just to see where the framework would go.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

Kikito,

i love how you wrote LUA X3
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

^__^U
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

I found LÖVE when ... hmm ...

*Causality paradox*

History: I came up with the name because I was unimpressed with the tendency of developers to name their software either in the badass/hardcore style (e.g. Impact Fister PRO X) or in the earth-shatteringly boring/technical style (e.g. libimpfist). To my surprise, love.sourceforge.net was not taken at the time, so I registered the project at once. (This was before superior services were available and/or known to me, like Github and Bitbucket).

The final name (LÖVE) was decided very quickly after the project was started, but there was a small period where the project had a different name. Some of you may actually know what that name was: Arbeit Macht Frei Engine. I shit you not. (It was always just intended as joke, though).
Trappingnoobs
Citizen

Post by Trappingnoobs »

rude wrote:I found LÖVE when ... hmm ...

*Causality paradox*

History: I came up with the name because I was unimpressed with the tendency of developers to name their software either in the badass/hardcore style (e.g. Impact Fister PRO X) or in the earth-shatteringly boring/technical style (e.g. libimpfist). To my surprise, love.sourceforge.net was not taken at the time, so I registered the project at once. (This was before superior services were available and/or known to me, like Github and Bitbucket).

The final name (LÖVE) was decided very quickly after the project was started, but there was a small period where the project had a different name. Some of you may actually know what that name was: Arbeit Macht Frei Engine. I shit you not. (It was always just intended as joke, though).
What's that in english? I know macht is make and I'm pretty certain arbeit is together/with, so make friends together?
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

After a quick googling, I think it means "Work will set you free".

The name is cool, but maybe a bit too long.

Code: Select all

ArbeitMachtFrei.graphics.print(100, 100, 'Hello from Arbeit Macht Frei')
EDIT: I only translated to English; didn't know the details about Nazism etc.
Last edited by kikito on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

"Arbeit Macht Frei" was also written into the metal gate of one of the worst concentration camps during the holocaust. Yeah, keeping that name probably would have pissed a few people off.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

rude wrote:History: I came up with the name because I was unimpressed with the tendency of developers to name their software either in the badass/hardcore style (e.g. Impact Fister PRO X) or in the earth-shatteringly boring/technical style (e.g. libimpfist). To my surprise, love.sourceforge.net was not taken at the time, so I registered the project at once. (This was before superior services were available and/or known to me, like Github and Bitbucket).

Thanks for that, nice to know a bit more about LOVE's mysterious history.