0.9.0?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Eamonn
Party member

0.9.0?

Post by Eamonn »

I know 0.8.0 hasn't been out long, but in 0.8.0 there's an audio bug that makes the game crash. This is meant to be fixed in 0.9.0. Since this greatly impacts my game and possibly a few other games, has anyone got any idea for when 0.9.0 is coming out? Is there a way to maybe get a snapshot of it like Mojang do for Minecraft?

Thanks! :D
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: 0.9.0?

Post by slime »

Eamonn wrote:I know 0.8.0 hasn't been out long, but in 0.8.0 there's an audio bug that makes the game crash. This is meant to be fixed in 0.9.0. Since this greatly impacts my game and possibly a few other games, has anyone got any idea for when 0.9.0 is coming out?
Soon™.
Eamonn wrote:Is there a way to maybe get a snapshot of it like Mojang do for Minecraft?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33799

The wiki has been updated with many of the changes, but some are still missing, and much of it won't actually appear properly until 0.9.0 is set as the current version on the wiki.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

slime wrote:
Eamonn wrote:I know 0.8.0 hasn't been out long, but in 0.8.0 there's an audio bug that makes the game crash. This is meant to be fixed in 0.9.0. Since this greatly impacts my game and possibly a few other games, has anyone got any idea for when 0.9.0 is coming out?
Soon™.
Eamonn wrote:Is there a way to maybe get a snapshot of it like Mojang do for Minecraft?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33799

The wiki has been updated with many of the changes, but some are still missing, and much of it won't actually appear properly until 0.9.0 is set as the current version on the wiki.
Thanks! I cant wait for 0.9.0 to be out :D Maybe it'll end up like Minecraft 1.9 where they don't release it and they go straight to 1.0.0!

LÖVE should be WAY more popular than it is! It should get more credit! I löve it so :D
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Eamonn wrote: Thanks! I cant wait for 0.9.0 to be out :D Maybe it'll end up like Minecraft 1.9 where they don't release it and they go straight to 1.0.0!
That already happened with 0.8.1. :P
klembot
Prole

Post by klembot »

Is the sound bug in the tracker? I did a quick search but couldn't find it. Just curious because I'm troubleshooting a sound-related bug in some code running on 0.8 where a long, streaming sound will skip.
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

I don't think we heard of that one yet. Put it on the tracker. Information like the OS it fails on, how long 'long' is and when it started to skip would be useful. Or even a small test case if it is reproducible outside of your code.
Shallow indentations.
klembot
Prole

Post by klembot »

Ok -- I need to make sure it's actually a LOVE bug, though. Basically I'm trying to play a bunch of songs in sequence, pausing a little bit between each one. Right now I'm doing it by checking isStopped() on the sound on every frame to see when a song finishes, but I had to give it a little leeway because this seemed to trigger prematurely... I think because it took a couple frames for the song to actually start playing? Anyway, I think I solved that by waiting a minimum of 30 seconds before checking isStopped(), but my testers are still reporting occasional glitches.

/derail
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

Don't we generally need a sound:onFinished() callback for a more optimised way of finding out when a song has finished rather than checking every frame?
Lua is not an acronym.
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

To my knowledge, the library used by LÖVE (OpenAL) doesn't have a callback for when the underlying sound system has consumed all the data. This has to be done by polling anyway.

What could be pushed to the event queue is the moment when the Decoder is finished decoding. Obviously not very useful.
Shallow indentations.
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Can't you easily calculate how long the song would take based on the soundData and the current pitch, and calculate when you'd need to trigger the callback from there?