How do i load an image onto a player with physics?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
worldaway
Prole

How do i load an image onto a player with physics?

Post by worldaway »

I followed the physics tutorial: http://love2d.org/wiki/Tutorial:Physics
and i want to change the red circle to a smiley face. the coding for physics is different than the hampser ball tutorial coding, so i can't do love.graphics.newImage! someone please tell me how to do this.

thanks.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: How do i load an image onto a player with physics?

Post by Taehl »

You do still use love.graphics.newImage, just like the hampster ball tutorial. The only difference is, you have to draw it at the coordinates of the physics body. So the code would be like this:

Code: Select all

love.graphics.love.graphics.draw( hamster, objects.ball.body:getX(), objects.ball.body:getY() )
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
worldaway
Prole

Post by worldaway »

Taehl wrote:You do still use love.graphics.newImage, just like the hampster ball tutorial. The only difference is, you have to draw it at the coordinates of the physics body. So the code would be like this:

love.graphics.love.graphics.draw( hamster, objects.ball.body:getX(), objects.ball.body:getY() )
ohhhh ok thanks. that goes under function love.draw() right?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Taehl wrote:You do still use love.graphics.newImage, just like the hampster ball tutorial. The only difference is, you have to draw it at the coordinates of the physics body. So the code would be like this:

local b = objects.ball.body
love.graphics.draw(hamster, b:getX(), b:getY(), b:getAngle(), 1, 1, hamster:getWidth()/2, hamster:getHeight()/2)
worldaway
Prole

Post by worldaway »

slime wrote:

love.graphics.draw(hamster, b:getX(), b:getY(), b:getAngle(), 1, 1, hamster:getWidth()/2, hamster:getHeight()/2)
I tried that and got:
Error
main.lua:49: attempt to index global 'object'(a nil value)

help?
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

worldaway wrote:
slime wrote:

I tried that and got:
Error
main.lua:49: attempt to index global 'object'(a nil value)

help?
object ~= objects