Future for PowerPC Linux?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
JDFight
Prole

Future for PowerPC Linux?

Post by JDFight »

Love 0.8.0 will no longer support powerpc macintosh systems running osx - Is this also true for PowerPC Linux systems?
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: Future for PowerPC Linux?

Post by TechnoCat »

JDFight wrote:Love 0.8.0 will no longer support powerpc macintosh systems running osx - Is this also true for PowerPC Linux systems?
I'm assuming you can compile it yourself all you want.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

JDFight wrote:Love 0.8.0 will no longer support powerpc macintosh systems running osx - Is this also true for PowerPC Linux systems?
Are you sure LÖVE is dropping PPC? I've been compiling Intel-only builds unofficially, but only because my version of xcode and OSX doesn't support PPC.
JDFight
Prole

Post by JDFight »

Well - in this post http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2970, it is clearly stated that 0.7.2 is the last version to support powerpc mac.

I will definitely try to compile 0.8.0 when it is released - I compiled 0.7.2 with no issues... Also, I have been able to get some software running that doesn't have available packages for PPC Debian. I was just wondering if the drop in powerpc support is an apple-specific issue - or something in the new version just simply doesn't support the hardware at all - I guess I will look forward to seeing for myself.... :D
bmelts
Party member

Post by bmelts »

Dropping support for PPC Macs is more Apple than anything else - the most recent version of their tools doesn't support compiling for PPC, and Apple have established pretty clearly that Intel-only is the way forward, so 0.8.0 will not have an official PPC version. However, there's nothing in the code that's explicitly Intel-only, so if you felt compelled to build LÖVE and its dependencies yourself, there's no reason it shouldn't work on PPC.
JDFight
Prole

Post by JDFight »

That is exactly the reason why I purged this system of all things Apple and switched to Linux :)

Intel-macs are awesome - but Apple abandoned the powerpc FAST... This laptop was a month old when apple announced intel-macs... within a few months it became clear that my brand new (super expensive bank-breaking) laptop was pretty much abandoned... At least now I have a modern OS with regular updates and new software.... (and it runs much faster than mac osx ever did... with a lot of tweaking- total customizability goes a long way! )
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It is merely us no longer providing binaries for ppc mac (and we never did for ppc linux to begin with), we don't have any architecture-specific code that I know of.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Wait, people run Linux on PPC? Other than running it on Wii, I had no idea people still did that.
pygy
Citizen

Post by pygy »

If it can cheer up PPC users, generic PowerPC support is being added to LuaJIT. Previously, it only supported models with a custom FPU ("PPC/e500").

http://repo.or.cz/w/luajit-2.0.git/shortlog/
Hermaphroditism is not a crime. -- LSB Superstar

All code published with this account is licensed under the Romantic WTF public license unless otherwise stated.