what the best Editor out there for.....

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
kingslovelua
Citizen

what the best Editor out there for.....

Post by kingslovelua »

So I'm on a search for the best editor to work in for a powerpc mac.

best paid and best free
Ensayia
Party member

Re: what the best Editor out there for.....

Post by Ensayia »

What capabilities do you need in an editor? Besides syntax highlighting most editors don't offer very unique features unless you go all the way and use an IDE. Even then, I don't know of an IDE or plugin that can recognize LOVE code.

On windows I use Notepad++ because I like the Obsidian theme it comes with as well as syntax highlighting. I don't believe it's available for any other OS.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

gedit is great for Linux, and I think there's Mac builds. Not sure about PPC though.
kingslovelua
Citizen

Post by kingslovelua »

thank i just went to the lua.org and downloaded their software and it came with scite so im just using that now and i found a ide called decoda dose anyone know anything about this ide,
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Yeah, Decoda is pretty neat. Haven't really used it much myself but it's built to professionally debug Lua scripts.

It was made by Unknown Worlds who are currently producing Natural Selection 2. NS2 uses Lua for its scripting, hence a good script editor is needed.

Afaik though, you need to purchase Decoda to use it. But you could also just pre-order NS2 and get Decoda for free.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

thelinx wrote:Yeah, Decoda is pretty neat. Haven't really used it much myself but it's built to professionally debug Lua scripts.

It was made by Unknown Worlds who are currently producing Natural Selection 2. NS2 uses Lua for its scripting, hence a good script editor is needed.

Afaik though, you need to purchase Decoda to use it. But you could also just pre-order NS2 and get Decoda for free.
Wait, so I own Decoda? How do I get it?
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

TechnoCat wrote: Wait, so I own Decoda? How do I get it?
either
  • Launch Natural Selection 2 from Steam
  • Choose Run Launch Pad...
  • Launch Decoda
or
  • Go to your Natural Selection 2 folder (Steam/steamapps/common/natural selection 2)
  • Launch Decoda.exe
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

They say vim is really powerful.

But it's got a steep learning curve.

I wouldn't call it a curve. It's more like a 30 meters wall. With barbed wires on top. And rabid dogs below.

After several weeks working with it, I'm able to work with several files at the same time, and copy-paste. But probably that's related with my keyboard layout (not US, and created by a barbaric torturer, it seems).

You also get this habitude of using vim commands outside of vim.

:wq
When I write def I mean function.
kingslovelua
Citizen

Post by kingslovelua »

kikito wrote:They say vim is really powerful.

But it's got a steep learning curve.

I wouldn't call it a curve. It's more like a 30 meters wall. With barbed wires on top. And rabid dogs below.

After several weeks working with it, I'm able to work with several files at the same time, and copy-paste. But probably that's related with my keyboard layout (not US, and created by a barbaric torturer, it seems).

:wq

gosh why so hard but they clam that they are Licensed by: Electronic Arts, Lionhead, Raytheon, Gas Powered Games, Mcafee, Big Huge Games, Creative Assembly, A2M, NCSoft, High Voltage, Playfirst, Riot Games and dozens of others

so..... um idk where im going with this
Verdandeify
Prole

Post by Verdandeify »

I really enjoy gedit. I got used to it while using Ubuntu, and now every other text editor either seems overly complex or lacking in basic options.

I couldn't recommend gedit more. Seriously.