I LÖVE it (Especially the ümelaut thingie)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
knarF.se
Prole

I LÖVE it (Especially the ümelaut thingie)

Post by knarF.se »

Hellooo!

I'm quite new to LÖVE, And I'd guess Lua too (I've used it before, hosted it inside program and used Lua as more complex INI-files :ehem: ).

I re-discoverd the LÖVE site when I decided to make a simple game to encourage the young kids at the school where I live to actually learn programming at their IT-class instead of playing games (I'd guess this is kinda ironic). So I decided to download LÖVE and try it out, I guess that I would have gotten much further if I had taken my original plan and written most stuff in C++ as I'm used to do (I could probably written a few kLOC's in Assembler just because it's so fun).

But however, it is really fun to learn a new language and it's semantics. I was really determined to finish the product early today, so I could send it with my 11yrs old sister to show of and maybe get myself there to assist with their ‘IT-lessons’ (They're programming in Java, something that I've not touched since I were in their age - so I'm like “Uhm, I write like this in C++; So let's try if it works here too”). However, this time I failed to deliver on-time, because of several reasons.

First I believed that Lua was quite easy and not much to Learn, Fail! :P
I also believed that it was close to the semantics of JavaScript, I might be somewhat correct with that assessment, I still need to learn Lua for real.
I was like, yeah, it'll do it later - how hard can it be really? Well, when you don't understand the language, and you don't have any tools that watch your back so that you don't accidentally shoot yourself in your feet - then it might be quite difficult.
And lastly, I spent some time jerking around with the different class-implementations, somewhere in all this I was like; What the heck I roll my own - but then I tested a few more. The 32-liner thingy on the wiki is certainly broken - but it kinda reminded me of my class implementation for JavaScript; Which is 42LOC. And I had no great luck with SECS either.. But I got it kinda working with LOOP, which is doomed with inconsistency... :?

Oh, well... I still might roll my own one day, inspired by the ‘clean’ syntax of the 32-liner thingy - and a lot of features I expect from an class implementation. Well, I got an animation system implemented in 181 lines of code ( with 292 lines of comments ) -- this includes the main.lua that I blatantly stole from the “passing clouds” demo and commented out anything that was in my way (I kept the reload script thingie, but did not use it). In the end I'd guess that I had gotten finished much earlier if I had not been so horny at class-based OOP (Last time I did not use it, was like when I was forced to use Assembler many years ago).

Now, I have to learn Lua and LÖVE - write gUI toolkit, FSM-designer, interactive debugger or something, timeline animator and other things.
This of course have several purposes, 1. So that I learn Lua/LÖVE myself, 2. So that I can use the tools myself. 3. So that it is easy for kids to learn Lua/LÖVE.

I can't really assume that kids are going to magically infer what value a variable will have at a specific point in time during a program run. As I had problems doing that myself when I did not understand Lua, and that you actually had to do some things manually with the class system.

Code: Select all

-- As in loop you either do like this
local animateable = Animation { automatic = value_thingie }
-- or
local animateable = Animation ( every, argument, must, be, handled, manually) 
Hooray for inconsistency! Nice way to tell people, you do like this - and allow them to shoot themselves in their feet when they are tired and don't really notice any difference between {} and () because they've just installed kUbuntu (Where the Ok/Cancel are backwards in the Save-dialouge) and it does not come with sane monospace-fonts as regular Ubuntu does (Which is now unusable because they have rolled their own inferior window-manager instead of going with Gnome 3) :huh:

Oh, well, I'm not angry - I'm just having fun at all this irony in my life :awesome: - However I might try some oddball Linux dist soon. Or maybe go with DSL (Like just 50meg) or LFS and customize to my own likings. I wounder if I shall test Gento, Slackware or Archlinux - Any tips?

I guess that I've might forgotten to mention the real thing why I started to write this post, however tl;dr - I'll take a cup of coffe now.

Oh, wait! What's the ‘Obey’-thingie everybody has on their avatar? Internal Joke? E-penis-thingie? The newest meme on one of the Internets? Am I allowed to know? :cool:
kraftman
Party member

Re: I LÖVE it (Especially the ümelaut thingie)

Post by kraftman »

Welcome! :D
S-Rave
Prole

Re: I LÖVE it (Especially the ümelaut thingie)

Post by S-Rave »

I think the obey thing is just for fun. There's a thread somewhere. :crazy:
srejv