Is the navigation on wiki-page good enough?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Victor Bjelkholm
Prole

Is the navigation on wiki-page good enough?

Post by Victor Bjelkholm »

I had problem navigating on this website some times and never really cared why. Tonigh I sat down and thought about it. I'm going to try explaining why the navigation is sucky and suggest a better solution.

This is how the navigation on the left looks like on the wiki page:
Navigation
Main page
LÖVE Home Page
LÖVE Club
Current events
Recent changes
Random page
Help
If I show you where you go when you click these links, it looks like this:
Navigation
Main page - Main page of wiki
LÖVE Home Page - Home page of love2d.org, portal and download site
LÖVE Club - The forums
Current events - An empty wiki-article
Recent changes - Recent changes on the wiki
Random page - Random page on the wiki
Help - Help file, currently under "constructions" and currently have been in 1 year, without any construction at all
In this navigation we can see many link-names (the one at the left of - ) that don't really say nothing at all to the people who haven't clicked on the link before.
Main page is the love2d.org portal/homepage for people coming here from Google. It should say something with "wiki" in so people understand better.
LÖVE Home Page is good. It really says where you're going to.
LÖVE Club said nothing to me the first time. It could be a chat, Facebook-page or forum group. Couple of first visits, I thought you missed a link to the forums from the wiki, and navigated to the frontpage to access the forums. This isn't user friendly.
Current events got no use in the wiki and is totally unnecessary.
Recent changes is a common and well known special page in wikis. But not for all so it should include something with "wiki".
Random page have the same "problem" as "Recent changes" above and should use the same solution.
Help is good. When it's helping. If not, it's misleading people and that isn't user friendly. Should be removed or link to forum "Support and Development" until a help for the wiki is done (or at least started).

The two other navigations on the other pages of love2d.org have one similar problem. It's difference.
The one at the home page (http://love2d.org/) consists of 3 items. Wiki, forums and bugs. Pretty explanatory I think. But, the forum (http://love2d.org/forums/) navigation have the following items. Home, wiki, forums and issue tracker. Here, the name bugs changed name to issue tracker and also, a link to the current page (forum) have been added.

I think the navigation on all three pages should be as similar as possible. Although, the wiki page needs a few extra links to cover the common wiki controls. This is my suggestion:

Home page (http://love2d.org/) and forums (http://love2d.org/forums/) navigation
Home - The love2d.org home page (http://love2d.org/)
Forums - The love2d.org forums
Wiki - The wiki
Issue tracker - The issue tracker
Navigation on the wiki
Navigation
Home - The love2d.org home page (http://love2d.org/)
Forums - The love2d.org forums
Wiki - The wiki
Issue tracker - The issue tracker

Wiki navigation
Mainpage
Recent changes
Random page
Now the three different navigation-menus are more similar and everyone would easier navigate around the lovely love2d.org site. I hope this will make you understand the problem and hopefully fix it.

By the way, I löve the header image on the forums, det är såå vackert :awesome:
Visit my homepage for designer madness
http://victorbjelkholm.se
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: Is the navigation on wiki-page good enough?

Post by Taehl »

These sound pretty good to me. Is it possible to change those things in the wiki? (I don't know much about editing wikis)
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Victor Bjelkholm
Prole

Post by Victor Bjelkholm »

Taehl wrote:These sound pretty good to me. Is it possible to change those things in the wiki? (I don't know much about editing wikis)
Yes, it is very possible :)
Visit my homepage for designer madness
http://victorbjelkholm.se
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

I feel that a unified link menu would help tons. I always keep getting stuck on the wiki, because there's no home button.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

josefnpat wrote:I always keep getting stuck on the wiki, because there's no home button.
You mean to the love2d.org index page, or to the home page of the wiki?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

chaaaaaanggeeeee?
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Wham, fixed. This will be even more fixed once Operation Skuld is completed.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Also worth noting is that the colors of the buttons on the Love2D page and the forums don't match, either. On the former, they go Wiki (pink), Forums (blue), Bugs (green), and here they go Home (green), Wiki (blue), Forums (pink), Issue Tracker (orange)... And since Home doesn't have a Home button, and the wiki doesn't have a Wiki button, maybe the forums shouldn't have a Forums button? I mean, functionally, you can just click "Board index" right below it...
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Taehl wrote:Also worth noting is that the colors of the buttons on the Love2D page and the forums don't match, either. On the former, they go Wiki (pink), Forums (blue), Bugs (green), and here they go Home (green), Wiki (blue), Forums (pink), Issue Tracker (orange)... And since Home doesn't have a Home button, and the wiki doesn't have a Wiki button, maybe the forums shouldn't have a Forums button? I mean, functionally, you can just click "Board index" right below it...
Personally, I find self-excluding navigation to be distasteful. I use the forums button all the time on the forums, same for the wiki. I don't think anyone would mind a home button on home.

But yeah, consistent colors would be good,

Is there any consideration of unifying the jam page with everything else, maybe adding Jam to the top links?
Kurosuke needs beta testers
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Robin wrote:
josefnpat wrote:I always keep getting stuck on the wiki, because there's no home button.
You mean to the love2d.org index page, or to the home page of the wiki?
love2d.org
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push