Ever had a project that you had to give up on?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Eamonn
Party member

Re: Ever had a project that you had to give up on?

Post by Eamonn »

Well.. at the time all I really knew was JavaScript and Python(well, HTML&CSS, but I don't think that's relevant). Maybe that's why I didn't like it. Along with the fact that I don't like reading books to learn a programming language(I can't focus(I don't know why)). But this isn't about PiL. I don't wanna derail this topic.
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Plu wrote:PiL is a great resource for people who already know how to program quite well and want to learn Lua. For people who want to learn both programming and Lua at the same time, it's pretty much a waste of time. The book assumes you're already a competent programmer.
I agree with Plu. When I was just beginning, I bought the book, hoping to learn something, well, let's just say that didn't help, even if I was already programming in C by that time. Yet, when I picked up the book again some time later, I was astonished by the huge amount of knowledge in it, I learnt a lot of new things that day.

EDIT: On topic: I had to stop a lot of projects mostly because of lack of time or because I changed/improved my skills, after which I couldn't be bothered to recode the entire thing.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Well, since then I've learned: basic C, Java, Ruby, C#, a LOT of Python, a little C++, started Haskell, REBOL, a LOT more JavaScript, SQL, PHP and a few more languages. So, would you recommend starting PiL again?
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Yeah, once you figure out how to do the actual programming, PiL is a great resource.

I used it to learn Lua in two days, and it worked great.
Codex
Party member

Post by Codex »

Going to have to agree with the others here, PiL is something that's hard to understand if you are just starting. BUT, I do think it is PERFECT for after someone finishes the Lua user wiki tutorials! I still from time to time cross reference both to grasp some new stuff. And I think they complement each other nicely.

Although trying to read the Lua reference manual is... meh. :x
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Codex wrote: Although trying to read the Lua reference manual is... meh.
I think we have different expectations of the reference manual. I use it as a reference, and it's perfect. It's easy to look things up in, and it always contains the information needed, but I can definitely see it not being that useful if you're not sure what you're looking for.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Plu wrote:Yeah, once you figure out how to do the actual programming, PiL is a great resource.

I used it to learn Lua in two days, and it worked great.
You and David were right, Plu. Going back over it, it's so simple! I'm flying though it. I take back what I said. So Raidho, you can calm down :x
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

I'm not mad, I just saw what you said a couple of days earlier and I won't buy what you're saying now.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

I'm going to ignore that.

Back on track, anyone else got any stories?
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

I got a million of projects that I have dropped, sometimes before getting to do them.

A 2d platform slasher game, a sky racing game, a zero-G racing game, extreme pong as seen on late pong consoles, a maze driving-through racing game, a time-travelling turn based tactics game, a solar system alien destroyer game, just to mark most promising ideas. And a bazillion of various demos.