Skyrim

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Ellohir
Party member

Re: Skyrim

Post by Ellohir »

kikito wrote:I will not buy anything from Bethesda ever again. Not after they did this. I can't reward that assholery with my money. I've bought some indie games instead.
I think that there is a law that says if you don't fight for your series name you can loose its rights. This is obviously a lawyers thing, and the company is big enough to have a lawyer department or advisor. I don't know for sure, but I want to think that.

PS: Played Morrowind, it's excelent. Not enough graphic card for Oblivion or Skyrim though.
bartoleo
Party member

Post by bartoleo »

from a post I read...
Mojang tried to trademark the word "Scrolls" back in May. No wonder Bethesda is freaking out. If this trademark is granted to Mojang then Bethesda is in violation of it. It's idiotic attempts at trademarking common words that causes messes like this in the first place. Notch fire your fucktard lawyers and hire new ones that aren't trying to pull stupid shit like this. Had they simply trademarked "MOJANG SCROLLS" this would no longer be an issue. All this time I thought Bethesda was being the assholes, but now I am flip flopping. http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=d ... a5vqe5.2.1 (This search expires every so often, if it's expired go here and search for Mojang: http://tess2.uspto.gov) "IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer games; video games; computer software; computer and video games software; computer software downloaded or downloadable; computer software publications downloaded; interactive entertainment software; data recorded electronically from the Internet; data recorded in machine readable form from the Internet; discs, tapes, cartridges, CD-ROMs and other magnetic, electronic or optical media, all bearing computer games software or video games; electronic amusement apparatus for use with television receivers; electronic games apparatus; home video game machines"
Bartoleo
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

I liked Morrorwinds but never played any other game of series later. However I agree with Nevon. I didn't experience it but from the movies and screenshots I saw of it I felt the models boring and the ambient too classic and outdated. I don't know perhaps my rpg tastes changed, I saw their site and quite of media and I didn't got excited as before . Perhaps the classic rpg concept is a bit burned for me. As Technocat I don't see nothing really new or appealing than old Elder games or Gothic series. I quite prefer watch Game of Thrones instead. :)

About the Nevon's feeling of the "Console interface" it begins in UX/gameplay terms to be a golden rule now. Developers and producers don't want to waste much time and money anymore adapting the game to each machine flavour.
Ellohir wrote:Not enough graphic card for Oblivion or Skyrim though.
I don't know why but I already have the feeling you had an old machine ;) Anyway I think that any new game always push more that they should from machines. Any machine older than the game 2 or 3 years is never enough for playing it well.

About the name trademarks It should be wrong trademark any simple words contained in a dictionary. Let trademark words like scrolls or apple? erm...
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

bartoleo wrote:It's idiotic attempts at trademarking common words that causes messes like this in the first place.
Oh RLY?

This sounds to me exactly like the Edge case. And I hope it goes the same way in court.

Oh and also this:

When I write def I mean function.
hughes
Prole

Post by hughes »

kikito wrote:Oh and also this:
Wow, that's actually really cool. On one level, the character models' interactions with the baskets was spot-on, even during animations. Add to that the fact that a basket over the head actually blocks line of sight - I'm impressed.
hughes
Prole

Post by hughes »

I've played about an hour of Skyrim so far, and I'm *very* pleased with it. The combat is great with all the weapon types that I've tried, including the bow. It's incredibly immersive and filled with little details that are just downright pleasing. Clouds swirling over the mountaintops, the best-animated water i've ever seen, subtle/minimal UI. I love sneaking around in the wilderness looking for wildlife.

Needless to say - the time I had hoped to spend programming last night didn't work out so well :P
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Kazagha
Prole

Post by Kazagha »

kikito wrote:I will not buy anything from Bethesda ever again. Not after they did this. I can't reward that assholery with my money. I've bought some indie games instead.
I did think the quake deathmatch to sort it out was going to fly for a second but I am sure there were a lot of respectable lawers who though it was no so good an idea.

-Kazagha
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

ZeniMax did that, not the Bethesda developers. You should know better...

Also, that kind of stuff happens all the time, but there's usually less drama about it. They were protecting their IP, even if they didn't go about it in a very good way.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

slime wrote:ZeniMax did that, not the Bethesda developers. You should know better...
Of course I know the devs have nothing to do with that lawsuit. Same as the janitors. But nevertheless, I'm not going to put my money on a place that allows things to happen.
slime wrote:Also, that kind of stuff happens all the time, but there's usually less drama about it.
That is hardly an argument. Drug dealers sell drugs all the time. That doesn't make it right.
slime wrote:They were protecting their IP, even if they didn't go about it in a very good way.
That is not protecting their IP. That is simply being dicks.
When I write def I mean function.