Plans for LÖVE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Skofo
Party member

Re: Plans for LÖVE

Post by Skofo »

I want LÖVE to spit out unicorns and leprechauns on command.
Working on: Viator
Need a 64-bit Debian package for LÖVE? Here it is!
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

Skofo wrote:I want LÖVE to spit out unicorns and leprechauns on command.
There is nothing LÖVEly about leprechauns. Those money-grubbing little bastards aren't deserving of our affëction :halloween:
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
karlkatzke
Prole

Post by karlkatzke »

Can we just get the unicorns, then?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

It would be cool to have a Löve code base (maybe as a section on the forum), all licensed under LCPL.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

Robin wrote:It would be cool to have a Löve code base (maybe as a section on the forum), all licensed under LCPL.
LÖVE is already released under the zlib license so you can pretty much do with it as you want as long as you do not claim that you made the original version(s) of LÖVE clearly mark edited versions as such (and the original authors still own the trademark). So if you want to edit something and call it MODLÖVE, you're free to do so. I presume the primary difference would be how an unplanned major edit of the codebase (of which the latest isn't public yet) would be treated.
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

osuf oboys wrote:
Robin wrote:It would be cool to have a Löve code base (maybe as a section on the forum), all licensed under LCPL.
LÖVE is already released under the zlib license so you can pretty much do with it as you want as long as you do not claim that you made the original version(s) of LÖVE clearly mark edited versions as such (and the original authors still own the trademark). So if you want to edit something and call it MODLÖVE, you're free to do so. I presume the primary difference would be how an unplanned major edit of the codebase (of which the latest isn't public yet) would be treated.
I seem to have some difficulties with saying what I mean to say: I meant not the Löve code base, but some sort of library, which would be distributed in the .love-files, along with the games. I think there are tons of common functions that have to be rewritten from scratch for every game, because there is no library available with these functions. I thought we might make such a library and host it on this forum, like many other projects.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

Robin wrote:
osuf oboys wrote:
I seem to have some difficulties with saying what I mean to say: I meant not the Löve code base, but some sort of library, which would be distributed in the .love-files, along with the games. I think there are tons of common functions that have to be rewritten from scratch for every game, because there is no library available with these functions. I thought we might make such a library and host it on this forum, like many other projects.
You mean ENVY, which is already under the LCPL?
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

Robin wrote:
osuf oboys wrote:
Yes, we definitely need standards, frameworks, and standard libraries which the community as a whole contributes to. ENVY, as mentioned by Kaze, is a nice framework but it has been designed by a single person and should therefore be the subject of much discussion. It also resides at an intermediate level of what we want frameworks to do. That is, we would also like lower-level standards and libraries, as well as higher levels. I'm not sure that these standards and frameworks should come with LÖVE by default. Instead, I think they should merely be recommended but may be de facto necessary because some libraries uses them. The right level standardization should however greatly encourage the production and improvement of libraries and render the game engineering easier.

Some things that I would like the community to discuss:
- Classes (low-level and highly recommended)
- Standard interface for modules (e.g. activation/deactivation of modules or loading of different versions) (low-level and highly recommended)
- Entities (mid-level and recommended) (should support games with and without box 2d)
- Differentiating between a game world and how it is interacted with by agents (e.g. MVC. Useful for splitscreen, AI, and networking) (mid-level and recommended)
- Internal representation of phases and GUIs (does not say how a GUI is presented, just how the different stages of drawing should be handled) (mid-level and recommended) (should be discussed with the above point)
- Tile-based systems (e.g. one may go with tiles, reduce tiles to entities, use a separate (mid-level and weakly recommended) (should wait for 0.6.0?)
- Common base for game/level editors (high-level and weakly recommended) (should wait for 0.6.0?)
Please suggest more common topics.
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.
iamah
Prole

Post by iamah »

some kind of sound generator library where i can make anything sound related, ie. procedurally generate sound
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

iamah wrote:some kind of sound generator library where i can make anything sound related, ie. procedurally generate sound
I am not sure I understand what youre aiming for, but perhaps Phya is what you need, uh uh, what you want. Check out this thread for details, momma!

PS: Besides that, there are audio programming languages.

PPS: What does this have to do with anything? :ultrahappy:
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)