What happened to love.joystick??

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Eamonn
Party member

What happened to love.joystick??

Post by Eamonn »

I was reading a thread, and someone said that "They have pretty much removed the love.joystick module". Due to the context, I thought that person was joking. I checked it out, and I saw this in the love.joystick wiki page:
WMyPuss.jpg
WMyPuss.jpg (94.76 KiB) Viewed 348 times
What the heck guys?!!?!?!? What's going on? Are you replacing it with anything? As far as I can see, you're not.

I just wanna say that this is freaking me out!! I was planning on implementing this in an upcoming project, but now I guess I can't.

Anyone else wanna express how they feel? Do you think this is a good move, a bad move, or do you not care?

Does anyone know why this is happening? This doesn't make sense in my mind.
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: What happened to love.joystick??

Post by slime »

Relax, the wiki is set up to not display anything which is newer than the current version in lists like that one.

http://love2d.org/wiki/Joystick
Eamonn wrote:Are you replacing it with anything? As far as I can see, you're not.
The changelog mentions the changes. It might be a good idea to check out the changelog before assuming it's not being replaced. :)
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Whew! Thanks slime! :D Glad it's not going away for good :) I was pretty confused.
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
kingslovelua
Citizen

Post by kingslovelua »

slime wrote:Relax, the wiki is set up to not display anything which is newer than the current version in lists like that one.

http://love2d.org/wiki/Joystick
Eamonn wrote:Are you replacing it with anything? As far as I can see, you're not.
The changelog mentions the changes. It might be a good idea to check out the changelog before assuming it's not being replaced. :)

But I'm a little confused on how to implement joystick in a game I manly want to use the joystick axis and axes to move a player around. the wiki doesn't really teach me and i've been looking for a tutorial on this subject do you or any one have any sample code / game or tutorial on implementing love.joystick into a game.
Teraku
Prole

Post by Teraku »

It depends on what you're trying to do. I'm currently creating a space invaders-ish side-scrolling shooter game (Think touhou, but with less bullets), and I managed to implement gamepad support pretty easily. But yeah, the wiki could use a clear description or example.

First, you need to create a new joystick object with love.joystick.open. After that, it gets a bit more specific. What are you trying to do? Map axes on a gamepad? Map buttons/directional buttons? Or map a joystick axis?
kingslovelua
Citizen

Post by kingslovelua »

Teraku wrote: It depends on what you're trying to do. I'm currently creating a space invaders-ish side-scrolling shooter game (Think touhou, but with less bullets), and I managed to implement gamepad support pretty easily. But yeah, the wiki could use a clear description or example.
Wow the Touhou game looks crazy, good luck with your game and I'm also trying to make a space invader shoot'em up type game as well. think Everyday shooter well It's more inspired by everyday shooter. I'm trying to use the joystick axis and axes to move the player around the stage like axis will apply force in the direction your thumb is moving it and I guess the axes would shoot in the the direction your thumb is moving.