Velocity getting clamped to upper limit - help!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
invisisci
Prole

Velocity getting clamped to upper limit - help!

Post by invisisci »

Hi there,

I'm hitting an issue where I can't make physics objects move faster than an upper limit of ~200 units (I'm not sure what the units are).

The attached .love file demonstrates the issue. Use the arrow keys to move around, and notice that velocity is clamped to ~200. I show the end frame velocity that my code is trying to apply, but it always gets set back to 200.

You can press 'm' to toggle the mass - the object should move much faster from the same impulse, but instead it's still clamped to 200.

Does Love (or Box2D) impose a terminal velocity? Can I change it? I want stuff to move faster!

Thanks in advance for any help...
Attachments
TerminalVelocity.love
Simple app that demonstrates the problem
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Velocity getting clamped to upper limit - help!

Post by bartbes »

Several ways:
  • Call the world update more, or with a bigger dt, this makes the physics engine think it goes faster, so dt*2 makes it think it goes twice as fast, remember, everything goes twice as fast.
  • The better solution: Scale, I'd recommend CAMERA, helps with graphics as well.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

invisisci wrote: Does Love (or Box2D) impose a terminal velocity? Can I change it? I want stuff to move faster!
Box2D imposes a limitation of 200 m/s, which appears as 200 pixels per second in LÖVE. See this thread.
invisisci
Prole

Post by invisisci »

Thanks for the replies... helped a lot!