What code editor do you use ?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Re: What code editor do you use ?

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

I am a huge fan of Notepad++, since I've started doing my bit of programming experiments.
And I am using Scite++ too, as it is bundled with my LuaForWindows package.
AutomatedGoldfish
Prole

Post by AutomatedGoldfish »

I use Sublime Text 2 mostly, but other times I just use Notepad ++. I really just like Sublime due to the cool themes that come prebuilt. :awesome:
"When life flashes before your eyes, make sure you have plenty to watch!"
shatterblast
Party member

Post by shatterblast »

ZeroBrane Studio.

PPA for Ubuntu:
https://launchpad.net/~zerobranestudio/ ... ranestudio

Web site:
http://studio.zerobrane.com

Love 2D configuration under Menu:
Project --> Lua Interpreter --> Love2d

It takes a little getting used to since it isn't a full featured quite yet, but I love it more than Eclipse (for Java).
oilyeye
Prole

Post by oilyeye »

I've always used vi. I am such a creature of habit that I only recently started using the (admittedly amazing) features of vim to optimize my behavior while writing.
no_akira
Prole

Post by no_akira »

shatterblast wrote:ZeroBrane Studio.

PPA for Ubuntu:
https://launchpad.net/~zerobranestudio/ ... ranestudio

Web site:
http://studio.zerobrane.com
OK installed this easily enough using the PPA at the above site. It is a very quick & snappy IDE but as you say still only limited features.
Selecting the "Lua interpreter" to Love2d corrected the lack of autocompletion without having to close the app.
What's good....
- Instantly opens and feels very bright, as quick as geany but with better autocompletion. Without having to hunt for .xml api files.
- The autocompletion on the dots eg love.graphics.setBackgroundColour works well. Seems comprehensive, not sure how uptodate ?

Question: Can I run my project from within this IDE ? Zip your project and run through the love intepreter (This would be killer, if I could)

PS: might be worth starting this as a new post to spread the word.
shatterblast
Party member

Post by shatterblast »

no_akira wrote: Question: Can I run my project from within this IDE ? Zip your project and run through the love intepreter (This would be killer, if I could)
Under Ubuntu Linux at least, you have to specify the project folder under the Project pane on the left hand side. After that, you can run your main.lua from within the IDE or by clicking on the main.lua file in your project folder itself from within the Ubuntu window. I think that part is transient. It's a new thing at the moment having to specify the folder, but oh well.

I don't think it will recognize files through a zip file, but given that they aren't zipped, it will still run it without having to zip it up in the first place and run it as a renamed ".love" file. I hope that makes sense.
no_akira
Prole

Post by no_akira »

Your right it works, fantastic. This is the easiest, quickest-in, and "most-complete-out-of-the-box" IDE for Love2d game development. I love it.

I had to select "Project > Project Directory > Set From Current file" and then the play button launches the Love interpreter and runs your code :)

Q: Watch window doesn't displayed values whilst code is running ?

I love small programs, that do a simple job and do it exceptionally well. Just a shame its wxWidgets and not Qt ?

This needs to be added to Ubuntu Software Centre, linked with the LOVE installation as an "Add-on"
shatterblast
Party member

Post by shatterblast »

no_akira wrote: Q: Watch window doesn't displayed values whilst code is running ?
Yeah, I couldn't figure it out either. It requires entering values, which I suppose works for debugging purposes. I just assume it's an incomplete feature unfortunately. The version is still 0.361. I see updates for the software about once a month, if not more. For example, the ability to run a main.lua file from an Ubuntu Linux window is recent from about 6 months ago.

no_akira wrote: This needs to be added to Ubuntu Software Centre, linked with the LOVE installation as an "Add-on"
I agree with you. That would be good.
no_akira
Prole

Post by no_akira »

Shatterblast your avatar is very appropriate for the news from Texas at the moment ? :shock:

Is the explosion at the factory anywhere near you ?
shatterblast
Party member

Post by shatterblast »

no_akira wrote: Is the explosion at the factory anywhere near you ?
I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it. It's about a three to four hour drive south of me. That's kind of nasty considering fertilizer can be used to make bombs. The "OBEY" is part of a forum joke.