What code editor do you use ?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Sir_Silver
Party member

Re: What code editor do you use ?

Post by Sir_Silver »

As far as I can remember, I've only used sublime text and notepad++. I pretty much exclusively use notepad++, it's simple and gets the job done for me, that's all I really need. :P
shoujoq
Prole

Post by shoujoq »

Notepad++ for the win.
Reflected in the mirror, I see the idol... Shoujo Q.
D0NM
Party member

Post by D0NM »

- Far ;)
- IDEA (it has some problems, though)
- ZeroBrane Studio (when I teach children)

I've tried ATOM. It is just great. But I had some troubles on installing it and its modules off-line. (so I gave up)
Our LÖVE Gamedev blog Zabuyaki (an open source retro beat 'em up game). Twitter: @Zabuyaki.
:joker: LÖVE & Lua Video Lessons in Russian / Видео уроки по LÖVE и Lua :joker:
Fuzzlix
Citizen

Post by Fuzzlix »

I tried atom inspired by this forum. Yes it looks nice. But a plain atom editor is nothing better than notapad++, in fact it seems worst caused by the fact the atom gui uses more screen area than other editors and i want to see my code but "colored gimmics". Finding usefull lua/löve plugins for atom takes some time searching throu all the lists in atom - much too complicated and time consuming for a "old and silly guy" like me ;P

So i keep sticking on ZBS. Its like a Notepad++ with lua batteries for me. The gui saves space on screen i can use for code display and i can work offline as well.
Teraku
Prole

Post by Teraku »

I've used ZeroBrane for a while, but it has its fair share of problems. Sometimes Lua files will look formatted correctly in the editor, but when you open them with another file, there's random indentation everywhere. The editor also highlights matching parentheses and braces pretty poorly (often not at all). The inability to add multiple projects is also sorely missing.

Haven't found a good replacement yet. Notepad++ does the job very well for single files.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Fuzzlix wrote:the fact the atom gui uses more screen area than other editors and i want to see my code but "colored gimmics".
I have no idea what you are talking about
Fuzzlix wrote:Finding usefull lua/löve plugins for atom takes some time searching throu all the lists in atom - much too complicated and time consuming for a "old and silly guy" like me ;P
For real? If you search "love lua":
And you can check my stars if you still have problems

About installing Atom offline, I have no experience, but I'm pretty sure you can copy the plugins folder from another computer...
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

Teraku wrote:I've used ZeroBrane for a while, but it has its fair share of problems. Sometimes Lua files will look formatted correctly in the editor, but when you open them with another file, there's random indentation everywhere. The editor also highlights matching parentheses and braces pretty poorly (often not at all). The inability to add multiple projects is also sorely missing.
@Teraku, I'd be interested to see examples of the indentation and braces highlighting problems as I'm not aware of any issues with those; I'd gladly fix/improve if there is anything that needs to be fixed.

As to the multiple projects, are you using those to access files in different folders or to switch between those? ZBS provides easy switching between projects for the later and for the former allows to map any folders into the project tree (right click in the file tree and select Map directory; it will appear at the top with a specific icon).
Fuzzlix
Citizen

Post by Fuzzlix »

Teraku wrote:Sometimes Lua files will look formatted correctly in the editor, but when you open them with another file, there's random indentation everywhere.
This happens when in foreign sources tabs and/or spaces are used to indent code lines. I have set up my ZBS to use spaces but tabs and to convert tabs to spaces. Tabwidth i have set to 2.
And yes, its true, you need to adjust your user config file "user.lua" for your personal needs.
Teraku wrote:The editor also highlights matching parentheses and braces pretty poorly (often not at all).
Thats true.
Teraku wrote:The inability to add multiple projects is also sorely missing.
ZBS has a nice project management and you can switch between projects quickly.
Smoggert
Prole

Post by Smoggert »

Ya'll hella spoiled, here I am coding all my projects in notepad++ ...

[Read as: This guy is too lazy to even look up editors]
Fuzzlix
Citizen

Post by Fuzzlix »

Everyone should use, what he want.
But sometimes it is nice to read, what other people use and to read her comments. Most people probably stick on old habits as long as it work. (At least I do) :D