The Global Game Jam

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Plu
Inner party member

The Global Game Jam

Post by Plu »

Who is going to be participating? And where?

My team and I will be going at it in Leeuwarden, the Netherlands. Or at least we plan to, we signed up yesterday. First time in the Global Jam, but we've already won two smaller ones so I'm hopeful that we'll be able to pull off something cool :cool:
Ekamu
Party member

Re: The Global Game Jam

Post by Ekamu »

I'm really interested in this sort of thing, how long does it last and is it possible to use some of your old resources and code (or is it cheating).

Could you talk about it a little Plu, since you seemed to have done this before. (^_^)
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Some of this stuff depends on the specific jam, but here's the basics:

- They usually last about 48-60 continuous hours
- You can use frameworks, libraries, and other publicly available pieces of code (including your own) as long as they are not game-specific (ie; a path finding library is fine, but a full game that just needs some images added and powerups configured is not)
- You work in teams (usually 3-6 people)
- Usually a place to sleep as well as food is provided, but you have to bring your own stuff
- You all gather in some location with a bunch of teams, a theme for all the games is announced, and then off you go!

The Global Game Jam is the biggest of its kind, featuring I believe some 7.000 teams in locations all over the world. There's a few rounds to go through (local, national and then world-wide) before the winner is determined.

It's actually a lot of fun. I did my first one at the start of this year with 2 friends, and we've now grown to join the global jam with a team of 6. Great fun, and an amazing way to produce games. Totally not comparable to any kind of normal programming excercise. I would really advise you to just sign up for it, solo if you have to, and go experience the awesome :)

Go to http://globalgamejam.org/ and look for a site in your neighbourhood. You won't be dissapointed. The global jam is held from januari 24th to 26th, but spaces seem to be filling up fast so you'd better sign in sooner than later :D
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

There doesn't seem to be any Dutch jam site on the list, though. :(
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

I guess they're messing up then, there's still 4 Dutch sites open (Breda is sold out):

http://globalgamejam.nl/

And you should be able to sign up here, because the form on the dutch website seems broken as well.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... XzR5a3c6MA

A bit of a sloppy start there :P
Ekamu
Party member

Post by Ekamu »

Their is definitely none in Uganda (<_<). But I'm moving to Canada on January 6th so maybe there.

Someday I will want to set up my own jam-site/network for Uganda. That would be awesome (^_^).
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Plu wrote:I guess they're messing up then, there's still 4 Dutch sites open (Breda is sold out)
Hm, nothing really close to me. Anyway, I don't think I can afford all that time in January.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Ekamu
Party member

Post by Ekamu »

same here, maybe next time.
crunchy
Prole

Post by crunchy »

Possibly be there. Zurich, Switzerland.
The games from last year look pretty impressive though.
Fayer
Prole

Post by Fayer »

I just registered! I will be participating from Mexico City.