Beginner game ideas?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
veethree
Inner party member

Beginner game ideas?

Post by veethree »

Hey guys. So i've been playing around with löve for a while. And i've found out that the main reason i can't really get into it is cause i can't think of ideas for games..So i decided to ask you guys :D What sort of game would be a good "first game" to write? Something that would be pretty simple to write, Yet something you could learn from..see what i'm getting at? What was your first game?
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: Beginner game ideas?

Post by Taehl »

I started out with a physics sidescroller with map-editing mechanics, but I always learn new things by jumping in way over my head. For something simple, the classic example is to make a Pong, Breakout, or Snake clone. If you want to be a little more creative, why not try making your own version of Skifree?
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

http://www.squidi.net/three/

Here's a good place to start on something that may not be so generic, but still simply in concept.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

I find that a fun practice is to pick a single element and pursue it. For example, I watched a lot of Star Trek recently, so I decided to write a little Love app that would create the warp effect. I spent quite some time experimenting with various ways to make it look cool, run faster, added little features like changing speed and direction, etc.

The point is, choose something super simple and see how deeply you can explore it. Try making a palette app, or an 8 bit typewriter, or... something, anything.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
ghostrunners
Prole

Post by ghostrunners »

I just saw this basic Tetris demo that someone might find fun replicating in Love2d - https://gist.github.com/1672254
"Imagination is more important that knowledge...." - Einstein
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

veethree wrote: Something that would be pretty simple to write, Yet something you could learn from..see what i'm getting at? What was your first game?
I was in same situation so I choose as first project to learn do a turn tiled map based rpg (no timer/no real collisions). In my second I will turn for some action timed game.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

I always recommend a snake or pong remake as a first game.
legendman3
Citizen

Post by legendman3 »

MarekkPie wrote:http://www.squidi.net/three/

Here's a good place to start on something that may not be so generic, but still simply in concept.
Thank you. I am now going to make a simple city building game.
cattail
Citizen

Post by cattail »

In my mind there some nastalgia games can be first (or early) games when newbie into love.
interface and algorithm must be simple, user control easy, AWSD or up\down\left\right, or mouse click

Some thing like Mine , pipe mania , Kyodai (Match image?) , Sokuban , Tetris , puzzles (dispear same objects, I don't know how to say in ENG) , ice breaker , and more like this.

And If U make this a go , then I want to a ZUMA like game, with some skill about collision ,sprite follow path ...

I use Sokuban clone as my first game , also some simple tools make is need for newbie , learn something to resolve a problem once (like a map editor something ). GIMP skill at least png (with alpha) will be nice .
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

tentus wrote:I find that a fun practice is to pick a single element and pursue it. For example, I watched a lot of Star Trek recently, so I decided to write a little Love app that would create the warp effect. I spent quite some time experimenting with various ways to make it look cool, run faster, added little features like changing speed and direction, etc.
I would like to see that.
When I write def I mean function.