Gender survey thingy

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Are you male or female (or other)?

Female
1%
Male
90%
Other
9%

Total votes: 78

jjmafiae
Party member

Re: Gender survey thingy

Post by jjmafiae »

Jeeper wrote:Not necessarily. There have been countless amounts of studies that show that a good balanced mix of women and men is far superior to only men or only women.
5+ here!

2% women is not something we should be proud of, This is worse than I thought.
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

Jeeper wrote:There have been countless amounts of studies

What studies?
Jeeper wrote:that show that a good balanced mix of women and men is far superior to only men or only women.
Superior in what?
jjmafiae wrote:2% women is not something we should be proud of, This is worse than I thought.
It's nothing to be ashamed of either, it is neither bad nor good.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Azhükär wrote:It's nothing to be ashamed of either, it is neither bad nor good.
It is, we should at least have 15% percent women or more.
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

jjmafiae wrote:It is
I don't feel any shame for something that I had not done. Should I be ashamed that more females do not take up programming and simultaneously visit this particular forum?
jjmafiae wrote:we should at least have 15% percent women or more.
Why?
Sheepolution
Party member

Post by Sheepolution »

Azhukar wrote:
jjmafiae wrote:we should at least have 15% percent women or more.
Why?
+1. Is it important for us to get as close to equal in gender in our community? If so, repeating Azhukar's question: Why?

But even so, what could we do about it? Changing our library names? Come on. Imagine you're a women (or try to), you're finding this awesome framework. After a few weeks you start using libraries, and you learn about the joke of having vulgar library names. Would that be a reason for you to quit using LÖVE? That doesn't make sense to me at all.

Edit: Yeah deleted what I said here first. Because sexism or something.
notencore
Prole

Post by notencore »

Jeeper wrote: Not necessarily. There have been countless amounts of studies that show that a good balanced mix of women and men is far superior to only men or only women.
Right and there's countless amounts of studies showing that tetris blocks have obtained sentience.
Trust me I don't have any sources but it's true.
nooblord
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

Sheepolution wrote:Is it important for us to get as close to equal in gender in our community? If so, repeating Azhukar's question: Why?
Personally I feel like the computer science and programming fields would benefit from having more women involved. However, that is nothing more that my gut feeling. There’s nothing I can think of to cite or reference or to make my opinion anything more than exactly that: simply an opinion.
But even so, what could we do about it? Changing our library names? Come on. Imagine you're a women (or try to), you're finding this awesome framework. After a few weeks you start using libraries, and you learn about the joke of having vulgar library names. Would that be a reason for you to quit using LÖVE? That doesn't make sense to me at all.
While unrelated to library names, at last year’s Pycon (a Python conference) some women developers took issue with sexual jokes based around ‘forking’ and ‘dongles‘, which led to the ejection of two presenters. However great Python may be as a language or how useful the content of the presentation, it didn’t prevent some people from taking offense. So I find it easy to imagine someone dropping the technology for that reason. I suspect those people—regardless of gender—would be the minority. But anything with vulgar jokes is going to seriously offend somebdoy once it garners enough attention.
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

ejmr wrote:However great Python may be as a language or how useful the content of the presentation, it didn’t prevent some people from taking offense.
They did not take offense with the python language, they took offense with the individuals making the jokes.
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

To be honest, I'd much prefer the solution to be kicking out the people who take offense at these things over kicking out the people making the jokes. An open atmosphere is worth more than some smallminded people not having their sensibilities harmed.

(With the obvious exception of jokes being aimed specifically at certain people, which takes it from "I take offense" to "I'm being abused", which is never okay. It's just that some people don't seem to understand the difference.)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Plu wrote:To be honest, I'd much prefer the solution to be kicking out the people who take offense at these things over kicking out the people making the jokes. An open atmosphere is worth more than some smallminded people not having their sensibilities harmed.

(With the obvious exception of jokes being aimed specifically at certain people, which takes it from "I take offense" to "I'm being abused", which is never okay. It's just that some people don't seem to understand the difference.)
Where do you draw the line, though? Because you can create a very hostile atmosphere for other people without being directly abusive. And such a "solution" would just end up enforcing and aggravating the status quo.
Help us help you: attach a .love.