Why not distribute statically linked binaries for Linux?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
osa1
Prole

Why not distribute statically linked binaries for Linux?

Post by osa1 »

Hi guys,

I'm wondering how hard would it be to distribute statically linked binaries(with LuaJIT) for 32bit and 64bit Linux. I'm having a lot of problems compiling Love 0.9 with LuaJIT(I also had a lot of problems with previous version but somehow managed it).

Or can anyone at least link everything into a Love 0.9 binary and share with me?

Thanks.
Inny
Party member

Re: Why not distribute statically linked binaries for Linux?

Post by Inny »

Its frowned upon to release binaries for the Linux platform because of compatibility issues. If you can just release the .love file, then that's usually the best to do for any non-commercial release. A link to the Love linux release associated with it and you're good.

If that's no good and you want an 'Installer', then there's already an open thread right now about this: http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75387
osa1
Prole

Post by osa1 »

Hi Inny,

The problem is not with distributing the game, the problem is I can't compile Love 0.9 with LuaJIT to use it myself. I remember wasting several hours trying to compile Love 0.8 too. In Love 0.9 situation is even worse though, because currently I can't compile even with standard Lua distribution ..

So I was asking if someone could provide me a 64bit Love 0.9 binary statically linked with everything and LuaJIT.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

osa1 wrote:...
It might behove you to read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12106
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

What sort of problems are you having getting LÖVE to work? What distribution are you using (can you use the official PPA or .debs or aur package)?

You can make LÖVE try to use Lua instead of LuaJIT when building by passing '--with-lua=lua' or '--with-lua=lua5.1' (or something, I forget the exact name) to ./configure.