Information on the game industry

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
16bitdream
Prole

Re: Information on the game industry

Post by 16bitdream »

(first post, hi guys!)

I think that a lot of people pointed out, getting a job at a big studio is not the only way to break into the games industry. Especially not these days. However, no matter what your chosen field of expertise is, being part of a large/traditional developer for a while can be a real benefit. A truly great learning experience. Working with a team of more experienced people can really help you become more proficient in a relatively short period of time. Most (but not all!) people who are "in the trenches" of game development are helpful individuals who get as much a kick out of mentoring the less experienced guys as much as they do from doing really well in their own tasks. Even the guys who are less than helpful or really snooty can provide you with a valuable learning experience, even if it's not to be like them.

And once you have that experience of not only working in a team, but experience in shipping a completed project, maybe even two, you can maybe think about going your own way. Or perhaps you can go your own way from the beginning. There's nothing that says you won't learn the same lessons on your own.

This is my 16th year in the video games industry. It took me a long time to figure out that I didn't just want to make games, I wanted to make MY OWN games. If you work for somebody else, you might not get to do that, not for a long time.
Ekamu
Party member

Post by Ekamu »

This is what I learned from the video Kikito posted:

Don't get a job working for someone else and forget the money. i.e do what you would do if money was no object...

Thats absolutely true but it takes a lot of faith. While your younger you have an advantage, you still have parents to help support you, use that precious time to build on your skills. Make a lot of games, even if their small little projects, you learn from each one of those.

Try make a few commercial games, the iOs and Android market is desperately in need of indie games for example or you could try set up some donations and get word out, show people you love what you do and do it for love.

If you can give people something of value and do it for free, they will value what you gave them and give it a price.

Never give in to fear.
shatterblast
Party member

Post by shatterblast »

You could also try to get an Associates degree, and then get a paid internship just to test the waters. My suggestion would be to avoid contract work like the plague. Aim for something with a salary.
Ekamu
Party member

Post by Ekamu »

I could be wrong but I think play testers get paid pretty well and their is tons of demand as well as job security.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Ekamu wrote:I could be wrong but I think play testers get paid pretty well and their is tons of demand as well as job security.
It is a very shitty job, though, and I don't think it comes with many career-opportunities.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

There´s actually a blog called "Tales from the trenches" about game-testers.

http://trenchescomic.com/tales/post/9810

It makes me weep for humanity and all those poor souls trapped in that line of work. (There might be exceptions to these stories, but still.)
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

gt.jpg
gt.jpg (80.63 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Reference: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/01/25
When I write def I mean function.
Ekamu
Party member

Post by Ekamu »

I can't even begin to imagine the horror! (@_@) There is no way out, you will begin to have nightmares and slowly lose your mind!!!
You learn to hate every game you test (with some small exceptions). You go to sleep thinking about them, wake up thinking about them and even dream about them. Hours spent in a small windowless room with little ventilation.

Trapped.
http://trenchescomic.com/tales/post/9810
Last edited by Ekamu on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

A two year old topic has been revived, HIDE YO KIDS !
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
JimReyes
Prole

Post by JimReyes »

Thanks for the efficient information.