How to make video recordings of LÖVE games on GNU/Linux etc?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
qubodup
Inner party member

How to make video recordings of LÖVE games on GNU/Linux etc?

Post by qubodup »

I use mencoder, so you'll have to make sure you have that too. (install mplayer which you probably already have.)

Step 1: Install glc

Follow these instructions. (I used the installation script, which was a little bit tricky. Look for 'flags' for your CPU (cat /proc/cpuinfo). I installed to /usr/. Also start the script as root.)

Step 2: Record the video

In a console, enter:

Code: Select all

glc-capture -f 30 -o video.glc love game.love
-f 30 is for 30 fps, which I think makes a/v synch work all right. you can add -s to start the recording right away

Press Shift+F8 to start and to stop the recording process! not stopping might corrupt the .glc file

Step 3: Encode the video

First get the audio to a .wav file

glc-play video.glc -a 1 -o audio.wav
Then encode the video + audio

glc-play video.glc -y 1 -o - | mencoder -demuxer y4m - -audiofile audio.wav -ovc lavc -oac lavc -o video.avi
Replace "lavc" with "help" to find out about more codec options.

Step 4: Upload the video
Go to http://vimeo.com/upload/video/basic and upload the video. Then come back here and post about it.

If you need help, I'll gladly help. Please tell if it works for you or doesn't.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
mastastealth
Prole

Re: How to make video recordings of LÖVE games on GNU/Linux etc?

Post by mastastealth »

Hehe, there is a simpler way. "gtk-recordmydesktop" is an awesome, incredibly simple screen recorder. Just launch it, select region or fullscreen, hotkey to record (w/ or wit/o sound) and stop. You can even put a setting to have it encode on the fly, if you got the CPU muscle for it! :D
Xfcn
Citizen

Post by Xfcn »

Of course there's always wink, which saves it as a SWF screen cast.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

mastastealth wrote:Hehe, there is a simpler way. "gtk-recordmydesktop" is an awesome, incredibly simple screen recorder. Just launch it, select region or fullscreen, hotkey to record (w/ or wit/o sound) and stop. You can even put a setting to have it encode on the fly, if you got the CPU muscle for it! :D
Xfcn wrote:Of course there's always wink, which saves it as a SWF screen cast.
Does any of those record audio for you? *curious*
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Xfcn
Citizen

Post by Xfcn »

Wink does it, according to their website. It's meant to be tutorial-creation specific.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
mastastealth
Prole

Post by mastastealth »

mastastealth wrote:Hehe, there is a simpler way. "gtk-recordmydesktop" is an awesome, incredibly simple screen recorder. Just launch it, select region or fullscreen, hotkey to record (w/ or wit/o sound) and stop. You can even put a setting to have it encode on the fly, if you got the CPU muscle for it! :D
;)
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Xfcn wrote:Wink does it, according to their website. It's meant to be tutorial-creation specific.
But does it record the audio of the game?
mastastealth wrote:
;)
Um.. I suppose that means it does work for you. :)
mastastealth
Prole

Post by mastastealth »

Well, I never said it worked for ME I'm just saying the option is there! :lol: I don't know how to set the capture device to be the output of my speakers in the mixers or whatever. :P
Xfcn
Citizen

Post by Xfcn »

I honestly have no idea which audio, specifically, Wink is capturing. Sorry.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

mastastealth wrote:Well, I never said it worked for ME I'm just saying the option is there! :lol: I don't know how to set the capture device to be the output of my speakers in the mixers or whatever. :P
Xfcn wrote:I honestly have no idea which audio, specifically, Wink is capturing. Sorry.
Well don't worry about it. I sometimes too recommend applications without having tested them first :)