ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE v0.70 is out

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
paulclinger
Party member

ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE v0.70 is out

Post by paulclinger »

The previous thread got too long, so I'm starting a new one.

As several users already noted, ZeroBrane Studio v0.70 is out: http://studio.zerobrane.com. The last two versions include a large number of UI changes and improvements that were done based on the great feedback from love2d users in the mentioned thread. Among other changes the last two versions bring setting/removing breakpoints at run-time (without stopping the application), bookmark support, and re-indentation of code fragments or files.

There are also several changes in the debugger, while not directly related to love2d, that may still be of interest to some users. ZBS can now be used to debug OpenResty/Nginx, Moonscript, and Lapis scripts.

Thank you for your support and feedback! Give this new version a try and share how it works for you. Paul.
Zilarrezko
Party member

Re: ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE v0.70 is out

Post by Zilarrezko »

Looks fantastic. Love the look of hot swapping. That's what's really selling it for me. I'm going to download now.

Edit:

My review:

"ZeroBrane, If you don't have it then F*** YOU!" -Zilarrezko
My official review.
This will now settle the score for Notepad++ or Sublime text. There's no argument, there's only ZeroBrane.

Good stuff man, Löve the hot swapping.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Zilarrezko wrote: "ZeroBrane, If you don't have it then F*** YOU!" -Zilarrezko
My official review.
Yet, a bit rude. Wasn't really necessary, was it ? :huh:

@Paul K: I wonder if there is another Lua IDE with such capabilities ?
You have done a tremendous work on making it compatible with so much frameworks anyway. Nice!
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

Roland,

> Yet, a bit rude. Wasn't really necessary, was it ? :huh:

Yes, I'm not sure it was meant as a compliment or not ;)

> I wonder if there is another Lua IDE with such capabilities ? You have done a tremendous work on making it compatible with so much frameworks anyway. Nice!

Not sure ;); it may be unique in this regard. I think it's a tribute to simplicity and versatility of the Lua debug module. I tried to keep things simple and cover a variety of Lua environments. I think it's a safe assumption to say that as long as you have access to luasocket (or can mimic its API) and haven't blocked loadstring and debug.*, you should be able to debug scripts in your environment using Mobdebug/ZBS. Paul.
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

paulclinger wrote: > Yet, a bit rude. Wasn't really necessary, was it ? :huh:

Yes, I'm not sure it was meant as a compliment or not ;)
It's a reference to the movie Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. It was the highest form of compliment I could think of. It was a play on humor that I guess not a lot of people have, so I guess I'm sorry that it may have seemed insulting... or something... whatever offensive stand it took in your minds. I guess only people who watched the movie would get it, but that's, I guess primarily Americans.
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

> It was the highest form of compliment I could think of. It was a play on humor that I guess not a lot of people have, so I guess I'm sorry that it may have seemed insulting... or something... whatever offensive stand it took in your minds.

@Zilarrezko, no offense taken. I suspected that it was (at least partially) a compliment, but since I didn't see the movie, I didn't get the reference. Humor is risky when people come from different cultures and may miss some context, which is what happened here.

Thank you for the compliment! ;)
shatterblast
Party member

Post by shatterblast »

paulclinger wrote: As several users already noted, ZeroBrane Studio v0.70 is out: http://studio.zerobrane.com.
I love this software. Is there a guide or FAQ on how to use the debug feature? I started with Java and the Eclipse IDE, but I never got far enough as far as debugging one's own software.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

That would be quite helpful. Actually, my debugging skills never get past using bunch of print statements :)
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

There is this. Although that might not be all of it. Or it just might be all of it I'm not sure. Sorry wish I could help more, but I'm still fascinated with hot swapping.
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

Loving this! One feature that it doesn't have that would be nice is a hotkey to switch files, like in sublime text 2 you can push crtl+p and you type what file you want to go to and push enter, way more convenient then going to your mouse and clicking what file you want to go to, especially with larger projects. Just a small bit of feedback, though:D

Great job though, I am a definite fan/hardcore user now.