conf.lua is not affecting the rest of the game

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
vitto
Prole

conf.lua is not affecting the rest of the game

Post by vitto »

I'm trying to set some default param on my [wiki]Config_Files[/wiki] to give a base of params for my game, for example:

Code: Select all

-- file conf.lua
function love.conf(t)
    t.identity = "Game name"
end
Then I'm try to read the data from it without success:

-- file main.lua
function love.draw()
    local identity
    identity = love.filesystem.getIdentity()
    love.graphics.print(identity, 20, 50) -- this writes on the window "game" instead of "Game name"
end
Is conf.lua supposed to be used to set there default values, and if yes, how should i retrieve these data?
Azhukar
Party member

Re: conf.lua is not affecting the rest of the game

Post by Azhukar »

Conf.lua is to configure the startup of love framework, not for actual values specific to your game.

getIdentity and setIdentity are for setting the write directory for your game, also called savegame folder. This is also the folder where you will want to save user settings later on, should you code any.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Azhukar wrote:Conf.lua is to configure the startup of love framework, not for actual values specific to your game.

getIdentity and setIdentity are for setting the write directory for your game, also called savegame folder. This is also the folder where you will want to save user settings later on, should you code any.
He is getting the value back from love though, so "basically" this should work - I have no idea how the love.filesystem api works though.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

S0lll0s wrote:He is getting the value back from love though
No he is not.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

vitto wrote:I'm trying to set some default param on my [wiki]Config_Files[/wiki] to give a base of params for my game, for example:

-- [...]
Is conf.lua supposed to be used to set there default values, and if yes, how should i retrieve these data?
That code works for me (it displays 'Game name' onscreen.) Do you have anything else in your love.conf function that might be causing an error when love tries to load it?

Azhukar wrote:Conf.lua is to configure the startup of love framework, not for actual values specific to your game.

conf.lua configures values of LÖVE specific to your game. The t.identity field in [wiki]love.conf[/wiki] sets the game's write directory.
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

slime wrote:The t.identity field in [wiki]love.conf[/wiki] sets the game's write directory.
My mistake, didn't realize it was identity as he wasn't getting the correct value. Perhaps the space causes some strange bug?
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Azhukar wrote:
slime wrote:The t.identity field in [wiki]love.conf[/wiki] sets the game's write directory.
My mistake, didn't realize it was identity as he wasn't getting the correct value. Perhaps the space causes some strange bug?
No it isnt (I'm answering like you do ;) )
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
iggyvolz
Prole

Post by iggyvolz »

Oddly enough, I've been having problems with the identity functions not changing in the actual script, but pasting your example works fine for me.

What platform are you on? That might help to diagnose the issue.
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

Positive07 wrote:No it isnt (I'm answering like you do ;) )
Only you're making neither grammatical nor contextual sense. I appreciate you trying to be more succinct, it saves a lot of time.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Azhukar wrote:
Positive07 wrote:No it isnt (I'm answering like you do ;) )
Only you're making neither grammatical nor contextual sense. I appreciate you trying to be more succinct, it saves a lot of time.
Dude, seriously. This is a forum, people are coming here for help and social interaction. In a forum you try to strike a balance between good conversation and information and your short and cold answers are useless. If you disagree, state why, be productive and help out. If you agree, motivate. If you are tired of people asking questions that were answered before or that you do not seem worthy being asked then fucking ignore it.
A forum is not a place where information density or anything like that matters, people asking questions are usually thankful for longer and more detailed answers. With your post style you are mostly just being a dick. You can talk about how you are only to-the-point all you want but your posts make you a dick, no more, no less.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end