Im new..what now?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Xenxe
Prole

Im new..what now?

Post by Xenxe »

I have a little experience with LUA but this is different than what I am used to..

I am hoping to make a top down 2d shooter involving zombies but I am wondering where to start?

Does anyone have some suggestions?
Xcmd
Party member

Re: Im new..what now?

Post by Xcmd »

There are some great Tutorials on the main page that will help you. Other than that, just ask a bunch of questions here.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

a good place to start is with a pencil and paper, get an idea of what you want (much more in depth than "shooter") then start making it happen
Zorbatron
Citizen

Post by Zorbatron »

osgeld wrote:a good place to start is with a pencil and paper, get an idea of what you want (much more in depth than "shooter") then start making it happen
Explain what this pencil and paper is you speak of?

The first thing you do is download notepad++ which will be your main lua editor. Do all "writing" in there too if you would like.

Usually when I start learning something new like this, I have specific goals in mind and an overarching main goal.

Yours would be to make a shooter (the overarching goal), and your first set of goals (other than learning basic lua syntax) would be to learn how to load an image with love.graphics.newImage and how to store it and draw it onto the screen. You don't want to overuse variables either, but think that anytime you want something to 'change' (like the position of the image) you will need a variable.

The concept of what you want is just as important as coding it, in fact I'd say its a bit more important. Practice it and you'll get better. Remember your job is to translate an idea, into code.