New subforum for libraries?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Germanunkol
Party member

New subforum for libraries?

Post by Germanunkol »

There are quite a few smaller and bigger librares floating around in the "Projects and Demos" forum. Wouldn't it be nice to split the forum into two seperate ones maybe with the names:

- Projects and Demos
- Libraries and Tools

?
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
zorg
Party member

Re: New subforum for libraries?

Post by zorg »

In my opinion, the word "projects" encompasses not only games and demos, but tools and libraries as well... i'm personally fine with just prepending [tool] or [lib] or whatever to topics i create about those.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
szensk
Party member

Post by szensk »

Maybe it could be a subforum?

Projects & Demos
-> Libraries

It'd probably make searching through easier.
Foxcraft
Prole

Post by Foxcraft »

I like the idea of splitting the libraries and games (be they demos or whatever) that are made. I think it might make libraries easier to find, and then the games people post don't get so easily buried by the more regularly active library threads.

Whether they're split as different forums, or just throw in a subforum, either would be a nice option. :)
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

I'm onboard with this idea as well. I think it's a good idea in general to separate the games from the libraries.
Kyrremann
Prole

Post by Kyrremann »

Not sure if phpBB supports it, but two sub forums, Games and Libraries, and then in the main "project" forum all the other coding that doesn't fit in either the games or libraries.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

I like this idea too. I often find myself looking in the Projects and Demos for a good library to use, and have to sort through hundreds of results featuring "blah blah implemented with libraryName blah..."
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
adrix89
Party member

Post by adrix89 »

As Subforum makes sense.
Easier to keep track.
I use Workflowy but you can check out Dynalist as its the better offer.
nfey
Citizen

Post by nfey »

A separate forum for tools and libraries would be great, as it's currently a bit time consuming to sort through everything trying to find a library.
It would also be useful to have a centralized list of the most useful user-written tools - either a wiki page or stickied topic (with no useless blabber, just people listing tools).
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

nfey wrote: It would also be useful to have a centralized list of the most useful user-written tools - either a wiki page or stickied topic (with no useless blabber, just people listing tools).
For that, I think we should stick to expanding the wiki page. That we have everything in one place, plus, that page can be edited by everyone, and sorted.

But a new subforum would really help in making the finding of libraries, tools and games easier - and games wouldn't drown so fast, as Foxcraft mentioned...
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de