Has anyone tried out Godot game engine?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Muris
Party member

Has anyone tried out Godot game engine?

Post by Muris »

I just happened to find this Game engine called Godot. It does look quite interesting, kinda unity like thing, and I was wondering if anyone has tried using it? From my quick try out it still feels quite unpolished/not matured, but the project itself looks pretty interesting.

I always felt like something that I would truly appreciate on löve would be a program where you could graphically create an UI. Although I am pretty sure you would anyways have to do a lot of coding, but visual UI-creator would be really nice thing. Maybe there are such things, but I've just completely missed them.
riidom
Citizen

Re: Has anyone tried out Godot game engine?

Post by riidom »

I haven't, but I have bookmarked http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/201 ... ngine.aspx and http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/201 ... ation.aspx (has part 2&3 as well) - but didn't found the time to dive deeper into this. So, while you wait for an answer, entertain yourself with the links:)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I'm just afraid it'll involve a lot of waiting.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Foxcraft
Prole

Post by Foxcraft »

Hello Muris,

I've poked at it some prior to its 1.0 release. It was interesting, and I definitely liked that it seemed far less resource intensive than Unity3D, on top of it being able to run on Linux.

It's definitely something I'm trying to keep my eye on. A little more polish, a little more documentation, and I think it'd at least be a great alternative to those wanting something more like Unity than a framework. It'd be a nice tool in my code-teaching toolbelt.

I haven't been paying attention to it in the past month or so, so thanks for those links, riidom! :D
Rukiri
Citizen

Post by Rukiri »

I've played with godot, feels like a grown up Game Maker :awesome:
I haven't really played with it a lot but for the brief time I did it was pretty good, do wish they used lua though... or javascript...
or C#... or straight up python!
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

Rukiri wrote:I've played with godot, feels like a grown up Game Maker :awesome:
I haven't really played with it a lot but for the brief time I did it was pretty good, do wish they used lua though... or javascript...
or C#... or straight up python!
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water."
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
CoffeeCoder
Prole

Post by CoffeeCoder »

I had first heard of Godot about a year ago. Nothing much has changed about it since then.

I feel there is such a flood of game engines these past few years - Unity, Unreal, Torque3D, Cry Engine, Atomic, Godot, and I know there's several that I'm missing. Anyway, I was never impressed with how Godot works, and it sounds like it overcomplicates some of the basic things.

When I first started dabbling in game development I was all about finding a visual engine that did most of the setup work for me. However what I found is that you lose so much control over the actual mechanics, unless you dabble in the source code (looking at you, Unreal!), which is just something that feels like too much extra work.

This is why I love LOVE, because you can program the game exactly how you want from the get-go. A lot of people would be turned off by this fact, but that's actually why I decided to try LOVE. Plus Lua is just such a nice language to code in! :)

Sorry for the ramble. :P In summary, don't waste your time on Godot. It looks interesting, sure, but there are so many other game engines to choose from out there already. Unreal Engine even supports development on Linux and Unity are also working on a native Linux client, so if anything, go with those guys since they actually show that they're working on Linux!
- CoffeeCoder
Visit my site to learn more about me! :megagrin: