Free Library Names Megathread!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Free Library Names Megathread!

Post by josefnpat »

Let's face it! For the most part, programmers are horrible at coming up with good library names!

And it's especially hard in this community due to the many preexisting libraries with sexual innuendos.

In an effort to combat this, I am starting a mega-thread where people can get PG ideas for library names!

This thread is open to folks who are:
  • Looking for a new library name that is family friendly, but still with the LÖVE theme.
  • Looking for a new library name for existing projects.
  • Looking to help others come up with new library names for posters.
Back story:

On IRC there has been much talk about the naming issue in love libraries. Historically there has been a lot of discussion as well. As opposed to rebranding libraries etc, I want to take an active appraoch to changing future library names that would better help LÖVE for youngsters and professional environments.

For folks looking for inspiration, here's a bunch of non-sexual topics for naming libraries! Any reasonable suggestions will be added to this list!
  • Anything Invader Zim
  • Carebears
  • Cute animals (e.g. pink pigs!)
  • Baby inspector
  • Hats
  • Food
  • Plants
  • Squishy Things
  • smooch
  • squeeze
  • HUGMACHINE
  • blush
  • crush
  • T.M.I.
  • Cake
  • Moon
  • Sarang (Korean for love)
  • Ai (Japenese for love)
  • Kärlek (Sweedish for love)
  • LÖVEcraft
  • Candy
  • Chocolate
  • Lollipop
  • gumdrop
  • cocoa
  • gummy worms
  • Carnation
  • chandelier
  • bouquet
  • dress
  • tuxedo
  • ball gown
  • monkey suit
  • bow tie
  • dancing shoes
  • swing set
  • merry-go-round
  • chivalry
  • limousine
  • heart break
  • archer
  • sweetheart
  • popcorn
  • marshmallow
  • macaroni
  • Spice
  • Anything to do with magic
  • References to Adventure Time, like Glob
  • Exclamations, like Yay!
  • Lalalala
Last edited by josefnpat on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
josefnpat
Inner party member

Re: Free Library Names Megathread!

Post by josefnpat »

In good faith, I humbly present:

My own Dong2 library as an active project looking for a good replacement name.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
hryx
Party member

Post by hryx »

As the front page says,
Be warned, however, that it sometimes gets too friendly.
And that's why I love this site. In that spirit, here are some too-friendly-yet-family-friendly phrases to get things rolling.
  • smooch
  • squeeze
  • HUGMACHINE
  • blush
  • crush
  • T.M.I.
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

I think some people need to grow a thicker skin and look in their pants.

I recommend you use the general subforum for chair activism threads.
hryx
Party member

Post by hryx »

Azhukar,
Azhukar wrote:I think some people need to grow a thicker skin and look in their pants.
For a little background on this topic: This morning on IRC there were links to some negative responses people have had about the LÖVE community. Now, I have always found the community nothing but helpful and endearing, but some have witnessed dickishness, and seeing library names like "ANAL" compounded with that to give the impression that people here are immature.

I agree that we all have genitals (and a lucky few even have multiple genitals) and it's good to have a sense of humor about it. I like the kinky library names. But I'd rather not misrepresent the community's intentions, make people uncomfortable, or project a wanker mentality.

So this thread is a small effort to proactively offer alternative — inclusive but still characteristic — style.
Azhukar wrote:I recommend you use the general subforum for chair activism threads.
That's the kind of confrontational attitude I think we're trying to avoid here.
SaphiLC
Prole

Post by SaphiLC »

hryx wrote:Azhukar,
Azhukar wrote:I think some people need to grow a thicker skin and look in their pants.
For a little background on this topic: This morning on IRC there were links to some negative responses people have had about the LÖVE community. Now, I have always found the community nothing but helpful and endearing, but some have witnessed dickishness, and seeing library names like "ANAL" compounded with that to give the impression that people here are immature.

I agree that we all have genitals (and a lucky few even have multiple genitals) and it's good to have a sense of humor about it. I like the kinky library names. But I'd rather not misrepresent the community's intentions, make people uncomfortable, or project a wanker mentality.

So this thread is a small effort to proactively offer alternative — inclusive but still characteristic — style.
Azhukar wrote:I recommend you use the general subforum for chair activism threads.
That's the kind of confrontational attitude I think we're trying to avoid here.
this ^ ^ ^ ^
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

I think Cake is a good name for anything. And if you plan on making a game making engine of sorts with LÖVE then CakeMaker is the logical conclusion. :crazy:

I recommend you use the general subforum for chair activism threads.
That's really rude, Azkabar. If people are annoyed at something and they create a thread proposing a solution for said problem, let them do it. I also disagree with the OP on this thread but no one wins anything by doing what you just did. It's out of place and doesn't help in any way.
Azhukar
Party member

Post by Azhukar »

You convinced me, I'll be sure to name all my LOVE related releases using sexual innuendos with a license preventing rebranding.
BluBillz
Prole

Post by BluBillz »

.....To me this post really really felt like you simply made this thread to show off your "dong2lib"....Because besides that this is really pointless...or atleast add this somewhere else on the forums but here.

So ya i totally agree with Azhukar.
ejmr
Party member

Post by ejmr »

Since we're all using Lua for anything LÖVE related (and rarely some C here and there), I've found it easy albeit not very creative to use "moon" related names in deference to Lua itself, which you see outside of the LÖVE community, e.g. MoonScript.
ejmr :: Programming and Game-Dev Blog, GitHub
南無妙法蓮華經