Anybody developed a point-and-click adventure?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
purplehuman
Citizen

Anybody developed a point-and-click adventure?

Post by purplehuman »

I'm thinking about joining to adventurejam, possibly with a point-and-click adventure game. I want to try to make it in pure LÖVE, instead of any adventure game engines. So anyone has done that? Any suggestions?

I'm thinking about making every "room" a different lua file which loads the images and sets the variables for that room. Rooms will have interactive elements apparently, which is easy I guess. And I can make walkable areas by defining some rectangles and checking for collisions. Any ideas for pathfinding also? I can define the lines which the character can walk I guess in the room's file, and find the shortest one to the clicked point.

Would it be too hard or take too long to make? I have to start developing the engine in the jam period which is 14 days. I can develop the story beforehand, but all audio, art and programming must be done in those 14 days.

I'm not thinking about a long game obviously, but do you think I'm crazy or it's totally feasible?
I am 2D.
I am purplehuman on github.
And I am purplegordebak on twitter
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Re: Anybody developed a point-and-click adventure?

Post by DaedalusYoung »

I've been thinking about it, but not done any work yet. It is completely possible of course and shouldn't be that difficult.
purplehuman
Citizen

Post by purplehuman »

DaedalusYoung wrote:I've been thinking about it, but not done any work yet. It is completely possible of course and shouldn't be that difficult.
I think it's dependent of how complicated you want things. For example dialogs in every room might require a lot of coding in every room's lua file. It might be like re-writing the game a lot of times. Implementing every "verb" for every inventory item might take a lot of time too.

But if you want something simple, it shouldn't be too difficult, I agree.
I am 2D.
Zleub
Prole

Post by Zleub »

Hi everyone !

I find your problematic really interesting and that everything is doable in a reasonable period of time. Game content is often a big deal when it comes to have something interesting in a short period a creation. A quit common solution is to use some procedural generation in order to get a little help from the computer. http://pcgbook.com/

The examples that comes to me after are such :
You get some majors interactions with the players and some minors ones. Majors seems to be graphics, point & click, rooms, dialogs ... Minors are graphics richness or `beauty`, points to click varying in shapes or positions keeping it logic to the player, rooms and rooms linking, dialogs et simple expression to build a constructed story by randomize -+ ...

IMHO, a 14 days challenge is just the time to get some experience on that kind of thing and then, when things gets pretty automatic, you'll be able to spend more time for images, sound and such which can't be handle by the cpu.
purplehuman
Citizen

Post by purplehuman »

Zleub wrote:Hi everyone !

I find your problematic really interesting and that everything is doable in a reasonable period of time. Game content is often a big deal when it comes to have something interesting in a short period a creation. A quit common solution is to use some procedural generation in order to get a little help from the computer. http://pcgbook.com/

The examples that comes to me after are such :
You get some majors interactions with the players and some minors ones. Majors seems to be graphics, point & click, rooms, dialogs ... Minors are graphics richness or `beauty`, points to click varying in shapes or positions keeping it logic to the player, rooms and rooms linking, dialogs et simple expression to build a constructed story by randomize -+ ...

IMHO, a 14 days challenge is just the time to get some experience on that kind of thing and then, when things gets pretty automatic, you'll be able to spend more time for images, sound and such which can't be handle by the cpu.
I kinda feel lack of enthusiasm for this jam. I think I won't be doing it. But I'll definitely try a point-and-click adventure with pure LÖVE some day.

Welcome, by the way.
I am 2D.
purplehuman
Citizen

Post by purplehuman »

Oh, what the hell, I'm going to try it, and report my progress on Projects forum. I may share the game too, if I'm not embarrassed by it.
I am 2D.
Zleub
Prole

Post by Zleub »

I'll be following your progress ! Don't be ashamed in sharing some code because it's really hard to give some angle without and, herr, you know, nobody's perfect (except some guys building loving 2d frameworks).

Thx for welcoming, btw !
purplehuman
Citizen

Post by purplehuman »

Zleub wrote:I'll be following your progress ! Don't be ashamed in sharing some code because it's really hard to give some angle without and, herr, you know, nobody's perfect (except some guys building loving 2d frameworks).

Thx for welcoming, btw !
Thanks!

There are 15 days for the jam, but I might start sharing the progress today or tomorrow. With everything I did for the day, like developing story, concept art, music sketches etc. I can't start the actual development, but preparing beforehand is allowed.
I am 2D.
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

purplehuman wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:00 am
Zleub wrote:I'll be following your progress ! Don't be ashamed in sharing some code because it's really hard to give some angle without and, herr, you know, nobody's perfect (except some guys building loving 2d frameworks).

Thx for welcoming, btw !
Thanks!

There are 15 days for the jam, but I might start sharing the progress today or tomorrow. With everything I did for the day, like developing story, concept art, music sketches etc. I can't start the actual development, but preparing beforehand is allowed.
Hello, has anything come out of your plan?