Do you have canvas support?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

Do you have canvas support?

Yes
86%
No
5%
Turnip
8%
Barely
No votes
Idk
No votes

Total votes: 37

T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: Do you have canvas support?

Post by T-Bone »

Positive07 wrote:Bobbyjones should know but anyway... My computer only supports Canvases (not shaders) in my Ubuntu installation and not my (default) Windows one (No canvas nor shaders), this is because I'm running on old crappy hardware (Intel GMA 3100) and I haven't got the means to change this situation (just an student living at the expenses of his parents).

My phone does (barely) support OpenGLES 2.1 so I can play most things there, but shaders have some differences on OpenGLES devices that should be taken into account by developers!

Long story short, YES in Ubuntu, NO in Windows, YES in Android
If you're running Windows 8 on your Windows box, you can try LöveFTW. It uses ANGLE, and thus relies on DirectX drivers rather than OpenGL ones.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

T-Bone wrote:If you're running Windows 8 on your Windows box.
Windows 7 :ultrashocked: I'm scared of upgrading since the computer really sucks Intel Atom Dual Core 1.6GHz and just 1GB RAM... I'll stay with 7 and Ubuntu for now
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Positive07 wrote:
T-Bone wrote:If you're running Windows 8 on your Windows box.
Windows 7 :ultrashocked: I'm scared of upgrading since the computer really sucks Intel Atom Dual Core 1.6GHz and just 1GB RAM... I'll stay with 7 and Ubuntu for now
Windows 8 is, in my experience, much faster on weak hardware compared to Windows 7. But YMMV.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

T-Bone wrote: Windows 8 is, in my experience, much faster on weak hardware compared to Windows 7. But YMMV.
Awesome! Thanks for the data, I was considering updating to 10 when it gets stable enough but I may consider switching to 8 sooner! Again thanks for the tip
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

S0lll0s wrote:
Positive07 wrote:Long story short, YES in Ubuntu, NO in Windows, YES in Android
are you sure you are running the correct/latest drivers on windows? Because that sounds odd.
It's really not that unusual. I have tons of experience with both Windows and Linux and older Intel integrated GPUs run much better on Linux than Windows in a lot of cases.

The main issue is that if the onboard video is old enough, the only drivers available are usually years old (from both Windows Update and the manufacturer's website) and never updated because of being an End of Life product. On the other hand, Linux has open source drivers that seem to work for every Intel integrated chip I've thrown at them. Granted, I seem to be able to get Vista 32/64 bit drivers working even on Windows 8, but there's still the fact that the drivers are never updated, so you're stuck with the last thing Intel decided to release.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

It should be noted that those Windows drivers generally work, but just not for OpenGL (DirectX works fine in my experience).