What motivates you ?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
gomez
Citizen

What motivates you ?

Post by gomez »

[my outburst]
Since I was a child I have a dream: Work as a game developer.
As soon as I got my first computer, I started to make this dream come true. I discovered that I'd have to learn a thing called programming, and I learned .. I started with GML ( from Game Maker), then Python, C++, Java, later I discovered that didn't need to learn all the major languages of the world, but just the main concepts of computer programming, like OOP, Functional Programming and stuff like that. Meanwhile I made some small games, received feedback and it was very cool.
Today I do a degree in IT, with a lot of programming, unmotivated people and coffee. And the motivation to continue developing games is just decreasing.
[/my outburst]

So, my point is: How can you get motivation for developing games ?
How can you manage your time to make all things that you need to make every day and still develop your games ?
Hey dude :D
Do you want to protect earth from an apocalypse ? Me too o/
Check my new game here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81001
ivan
Party member

Re: What motivates you ?

Post by ivan »

Little things can motivate me quite a lot.
For example, when working on a large project,
I sometimes go back and redesign a single art asset or a piece of code until it's really polished and nice.
And when you do that for little things it makes you more motivated about the project as a whole.
Of course the real joy comes much later when you release projects in the wild. :)
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

Well, what's the alternative?
If you can live with yourself not making games then stop, but it doesn't sound like becoming an unmotivated person who does lots of programming and drinks lots of coffee sounds like an appealing option for you.
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
PigsterTheAlmighty
Prole

Post by PigsterTheAlmighty »

I like playing games that amaze and wow me, because they inspire me to make something better and more amazing.
If you were drawing a picture, you might look at amazing pictures that amp you up, and make you feel as though you want to exceed.

This is what motivates me.
Remember the three magic words; please, you're welcome, and f*ck you.
gomez
Citizen

Post by gomez »

undef wrote:Well, what's the alternative?
If you can live with yourself not making games then stop, but it doesn't sound like becoming an unmotivated person who does lots of programming and drinks lots of coffee sounds like an appealing option for you.
My demotivation is specific to game development, because it requires time to be done. I love to code/coffee/nerd stuff.
It's a matter of wanting to do something, but do not have the time or motivation enough to do it.
PigsterTheAlmighty wrote:I like playing games that amaze and wow me, because they inspire me to make something better and more amazing.
If you were drawing a picture, you might look at amazing pictures that amp you up, and make you feel as though you want to exceed.

This is what motivates me.
Interesting.
This lack me. Because I do not have time nor to play and see what i can exceed. :cry:
Another thing: I really want to follow the game developer career. The kind that the main income comes from it, you know?
About it, what you've done?
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

I'm going to be blunt with you because I believe that this is a valuable life lesson that everyone should learn. No offense intended.

If it has been your dream since you where a child then you would be doing it. Motivation is a bad excuse that people who lack discipline like to blame. Regardless of what you do, there will always be periods that just plain suck, are annoying and drives you crazy. Hard work will be rewarding after you are done, but tough during.

Just do it.
gomez
Citizen

Post by gomez »

Jeeper wrote: I'm going to be blunt with you because I believe that this is a valuable life lesson that everyone should learn. No offense intended.

If it has been your dream since you where a child then you would be doing it. Motivation is a bad excuse that people who lack discipline like to blame. Regardless of what you do, there will always be periods that just plain suck, are annoying and drives you crazy. Hard work will be rewarding after you are done, but tough during.

Just do it.
I agree with you. All the excuses I give are only to mask my lack of discipline :cry:
How do you handle that ? Just focusing on one thing at a time ?
OrbitalBlueprint
Prole

Post by OrbitalBlueprint »

Last edited by OrbitalBlueprint on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gomez
Citizen

Post by gomez »

OrbitalBlueprint wrote:This is not exactly what gomez meant, but what motivates me to program through one session is background music. Stuff like electro swing, chiptune, etc. My brain essentially farts when I'm coding without music.

EDIT: A playlist I keep adding the music specified to.
awesome :D
Zarty55
Citizen

Post by Zarty55 »

In the moment I'm a undecided person that is bouncing from a concept of a game to another concept. I'm really bored with programming right now, I'm not sure what to do. I had something to say, but I don't think I'm in the position to be the person that says something good right now hahaha

Procastination is big ugly thing in my life right now. Dammit.