Suggestion about the love libraries ... naming convention.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
bobbyjones
Party member

Suggestion about the love libraries ... naming convention.

Post by bobbyjones »

Currently, as mentioned in many threads before, love library authors tend to name their libraries in a very inappropriate and suggestive way. The community seems to be divided on the matter. I personally think the issue is that many people see the community as a place for themselves and the friends they made in the community. The reason that I say this is because many people only worry about the immediate effect of the library names on themselves and not everyone in the community. These library names are unprofessional and not appropriate for children. While many people may disagree on that subject, it is common knowledge that library names such as LUBE, Lovetoys, SECS and etc, are inappropriate for any professional or educational situation. While some are fine in most cases , i.e STI, many are just utterly acceptable.

My suggestion to the community and forum is this, make a stickied post that state guidelines (not rules) on how to make a good library name. I am not saying we need more moderation. I am not saying we need censorship. I am not saying we need to take away the fun from this community. I am not saying any of that. But what I am saying is we should be considerate of anyone who may come in contact with our community. And no its not about people getting offended, butt hurt, or "insecure about sexuality". Its about helping the image of the community "grow up".

Now I know some of you all might attack me or this post saying just because I'm "offended" (I am not) I want everyone else to change. If that is all you have to contribute to this thread then please don't reply.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Suggestion about the love libraries ... naming conventio

Post by slime »

Ideally I'd like to have an official Code of Conduct (which would cover any library names posted on the forums). If people still want a guidelines post about making good library names in addition to that, it could be done though.

(Although I'm not good at naming things, so I probably wouldn't make such a post. ;))
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

A code of conduct is a good idea. It's always good to figure out what a community's values are and make them tangible and specific.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

bobbyjones wrote:I personally think the issue is that many people see the community as a place for themselves and the friends they made in the community.
Certainly not my case. My own opinion is that favouring the over-protectiveness of people who are offended so easily as by reading these titles, is counter-productive, and that exposure is a good means to let them learn to stop being offended by trivial things.

Adding another brick in the wall of over-protection harms not the community, but the society.
bobbyjones wrote:My suggestion to the community and forum is this, make a stickied post that state guidelines (not rules) on how to make a good library name.
Guidelines are not different to rules in practice. If people are afraid of becoming rejected by the community for showing disrespect towards the community's guidelines, that's no different to being afraid of becoming forcefully ejected for not following a rule. Rather than pushing for a world where it doesn't happen, I prefer to push for a world where it doesn't matter.

That said, I'd just make a general recommendation to people to think twice about the names that they want to use for their projects, from the perspective of whether they want them to look puerile or professional, rather than settling on the easy joke without giving it any thought. I'm sure more than one developer has regretted the name they've used for their project as it grew up (I can think of at least one that has been renamed, after the joke being endorsed by the LÖVE leaders).