Issues launching love 0.10.0 (evolved)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Pixelguru26
Prole

Issues launching love 0.10.0 (evolved)

Post by Pixelguru26 »

I've been working on a game in LOVE 0.8.0 that I would like to be multi-platform. However, I've come up against a slight problem with window sizes, due to the fact that I'm working with a set screen ratio. I've tried using love.graphics.getModes(), but this changes the game ratios without allowing me to change them back and scale up to fit the screen. Does anyone know of any way to get the displaying monitor's resolution?
Fixed the old problem, agreed that love 0.10.0 is my everlasting overlord, etc. Now, I have an even herder problem, and seeing as only my cell phone can get internet access right now, I figured it'd be better to reuse this thread. My current problem is this: every timthe e I attempt to launch L2D .10, it fails and leaves me with a blank blue screen. With a console enabled, it gives me an error involving the shaders. (Full error message at bottom, this happens with or without a game.) I have so far tried: reinstallation, different builds (32B vs 64, etc.), updating graphics drivers, and another round of reinstallation with all build variants. Nothing seems to help. I'm using 64-bit windows 7, in case anyone's wondering.
Last edited by Pixelguru26 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
bobbyjones
Party member

Re: getting screen dimensions without changing game size

Post by bobbyjones »

Why are you using 0.8.0?
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

If you're keeping aspect ratio, then use [wiki]love.graphics.scale[/wiki]. If you want to stretch the image, use [wiki]Canvas[/wiki], but know that some older systems don't support them.

Also, I think it'd be better if you ported your project over to LÖVE 0.10.0, as it is more up-to-date, more efficient and overall better :)
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

HugoBDesigner wrote:If you're keeping aspect ratio, then use [wiki]love.graphics.scale[/wiki]. If you want to stretch the image, use [wiki]Canvas[/wiki], but know that some older systems don't support them.

Also, I think it'd be better if you ported your project over to LÖVE 0.10.0, as it is more up-to-date, more efficient and overall better :)

Especially considering 0.8.0 was regular Lua and not luajit
Pixelguru26
Prole

Post by Pixelguru26 »

Alright, I've put mopped up all the messes, fixed some bugs and ported the whole thing over to 0.10.0. It worked, and I got it to rescale... and then I tried launching it from a different computer (the same game, launched through the same copy of love2d, from the same flash drive) and now I can't launch anything in love 0.10.0... Launching with console enabled gives me a "cannot link shader program object" error. It won't tell me where I went wrong, and it won't even load a "game not found" screen :S
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

If you want to force a specific aspect ratio, find the screen's aspect ratio, and draw black bars (or better, fill them with some nice artwork) around your actual gameplay. To get an idea of what that can look like, check out how games on Rare Replay looks, or playing a Nintendo DS game on a 3DS. I'm sure you can find tons of other examples.
Pixelguru26
Prole

Post by Pixelguru26 »

T-Bone wrote:If you want to force a specific aspect ratio, find the screen's aspect ratio, and draw black bars (or better, fill them with some nice artwork) around your actual gameplay. To get an idea of what that can look like, check out how games on Rare Replay looks, or playing a Nintendo DS game on a 3DS. I'm sure you can find tons of other examples.
I get the idea, but this is not my current problem. Or my previous problem. I've figured out how to retrieve the desktop size and scale the game accordingly. Now, my problem is that it will not launch at all; LOVE 0.10.0 will not open or load the "no game" screen even after rebooting, reinstalling, etc.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

LÖVE 0.10.0 has higher minimum system requirements than previous versions: it needs a system which supports OpenGL 2.1 or OpenGL ES 2.0. Typically the only things which don't meet those requirements are those which only have old integrated Intel GMA GPUs created in 2007 and earlier.

However, if LÖVE launches but gives the error you said, it sounds like a graphics driver bug rather than a system that doesn't meet the minimum requirements. Make sure the graphics drivers on that computer are as up-to-date as possible.
Pixelguru26
Prole

Post by Pixelguru26 »

Well, I finally updated my graphics drivers, and...
Same error all over again.

E:\FT3>IF "AMD64" == "x86" (GOTO bitx86 ) else (GOTO bitx64 )

E:\FT3>"bin\LOVE 0.10.0\love (x64)\love.exe" "bin\game"

Error: [string "boot.lua"]:397: Cannot link shader program object:

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'setMode'
[string "boot.lua"]:397: in function <[string "boot.lua"]:274>
[C]: in function 'xpcall'