Library sub-forum?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Sheepolution
Party member

Re: Library sub-forum?

Post by Sheepolution »

I think it's important that we separate what is being created with LÖVE and what's created for LÖVE. The project page should be about what you make with LÖVE. When someone is new on the forum and wants to know what people make, you don't want to have them filter through all the not-games posts.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

Sheepolution wrote:I think it's important that we separate what is being created with LÖVE and what's created for LÖVE. The project page should be about what you make with LÖVE. When someone is new on the forum and wants to know what people make, you don't want to have them filter through all the not-games posts.
Definitely this. That, and I imagine it's not really uncommon for someone to walk into Projects and Demos and see a topic for a library, thinking it's a game, or vice-versa.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Right, let's get this going then. I've made a google spreadsheet for games here. Once it fills up reasonably, I'll be moving all the topics there to a games (sub)forum. If you want to help build that list, send me your google account so I can add you as an editor.

EDIT: Or send a request on the spreadsheet itself, if you've got a recognizable name.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I think we should divide it in "Projects and Games" and "Libraries and Tools"; things like this and this aren't exactly proper games, but still they fit in things made with LÖVE, as Sheepolution said.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

Just a quick question, which list is smaller, Libraries and Tools, or Games and Projects?
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Wouldn't it be simpler to single out libraries since most of them have "[Library]" in their title, or in their first post?

For example, this simple search yields a lot of libraries, but some games which can be hand picked.

EDIT: I wrote a quick and dirty javascript parser of the search results, yielding 376 results from that particular link. They are mostly libraries, but I went through them and removed any games. Here is the output: http://pastebin.com/xVFeduzw (Mind, the Ö and other special symbols got a bit messed up, but it's just in the topic titles)

EDIT 2: That list now includes search results from "tool" and "snippet" as well.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Glad to see the forum layout to evolve.

In phpbb, forums look and feel better than subforums.

lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

qubodup wrote:...
Psttt.. We can't see the change yet since we're normal party members and not fancy "inner" ones like you..
I get it, the new subforum will be here: viewforum.php?f=9
Normies aren't authorised to see yet tho :P
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

As an inner party member, let me tell you that he just edited some html code.
I do agree with qubodup though, a new forum would be nicer than subforums.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
DanielPower
Citizen

Post by DanielPower »

I also agree that it should be a forum, not a subforum. And I would volunteer to help moving threads if more manpower is needed.
qubodup's mockup looks greats.