Video Tutorials

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
baconhawka7x
Party member

Video Tutorials

Post by baconhawka7x »

Years ago I spent my weekends making tutorials on how to properly use love2d. At the time I was inexperienced and also 14 years old.
(you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr1VpNkhJrA , but you really shouldn't.)

I would like to start creating my own tutorials again. My previous tutorial series was made for the absolute beginner, starting from the very basics of things (sort of). I would like to make my new series about more advanced, complex, and difficult topics. Things that intermediate-advanced game developers would appreciate a reference to, are not commonly discussed, or that some developers may just not fully understand.

My vision for this series would be to take suggestions from the forums and do in-depth research on the topic and test it out for myself until I feel I have a complete understanding of it.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for video topics, or if anyone would be interested in having access to content like this.
cattail
Citizen

Re: Video Tutorials

Post by cattail »

Great.
I'd like to see some video of
config menu (and buttons) system , save game options\status ......
some usage of midware(soft) in this forum (there some good midware in forum but can't figout it's usage)
game level editor , OpenglES subsystem usage ...
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

cattail wrote:Great.
I'd like to see some video of
config menu (and buttons) system , save game options\status ......
some usage of midware(soft) in this forum (there some good midware in forum but can't figout it's usage)
game level editor , OpenglES subsystem usage ...
All of these are great. I think it would be cool to do a level editor sub-series that dives deep into some of the elements that go into making one.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

I think one thing that would be pretty neat is procedural generation. You can honestly make a series on it. And it probably would have you researching everyday. But it would be great help for people.

Also another thing could just be optimization. I think a cool mini series could be where you take open source games (like Mari0) that are known for their scary code and bad performance and you profile them and show us how to make them faster. The crucial thing about this would be to show us the profiling.

Next subject you can probably cover is using FFI.

The next next subject could be networking techniques. But for this subject you would probably have to research the various ways networking is done and then create an example using simple games. I.e pong could be used for a peer to peer networking example. You could also show us how to optimize network communication.

You could research and create tutorials about AI

And I'm going to stop my list here. Honestly if you manage to do all these things on this list then you are probably going to be an awesome programmer.
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

@bobbyjones Appreciate the feedback! All great ideas, and all things I am interested in learning more about.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

As for myself, I'd like to see a tutorial on entity-component systems and using tiny-ecs.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

pgimeno wrote:As for myself, I'd like to see a tutorial on entity-component systems and using tiny-ecs.
Me too.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

Nixola wrote:
pgimeno wrote:As for myself, I'd like to see a tutorial on entity-component systems and using tiny-ecs.
Me too.
Never heard of tiny-ecs before, looks extremely useful, definitely going to do a vid on it and entity systems altogether.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

I think I kind of screwed up the name. It would be more like entity-component-system systems.