So anyway, Mari0 is out...

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Jasoco
Inner party member

So anyway, Mari0 is out...

Post by Jasoco »

http://stabyourself.net/mari0/

And no one here is talking about it? It's only the biggest Löve game released so far! I am about to play it right now.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: So anyway, Mari0 is out...

Post by TechnoCat »

Jasoco wrote:http://stabyourself.net/mari0/

And no one here is talking about it? It's only the biggest Löve game released so far! I am about to play it right now.
We're all too busy playing it. :neko:
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

0.80 hasn't been released yet, so I can't play it on linux (without going through the hassle of compiling it myself). I was surprised, however, to open the zip file and find a .love contained. Cool to see.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Isn't there a Linux download available that gives you a compiled version of Löve to use?

I'm just wondering how to make some use of those .frag files in the shaders folder. I really like the Phosphor one and would love ti use some of these shaders in my own games. I assume they're pixel effects but I don't know exactly how to load them and use them.
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

Jasoco wrote:Isn't there a Linux download available that gives you a compiled version of Löve to use?
Even if it were possible to build a binary that will run on the most used Linux distributions, the users wouldn't like that at all because it goes against the modularity of their systems. Going the correct route involves learning about all the different package managers and offering a package for every distribution (debian based ones may be compatible to each other).

Any thoughts on that, bartbes? ;)
Shallow indentations.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Boolsheet wrote:
Jasoco wrote:Isn't there a Linux download available that gives you a compiled version of Löve to use?
Even if it were possible to build a binary that will run on the most used Linux distributions, the users wouldn't like that at all because it goes against the modularity of their systems. Going the correct route involves learning about all the different package managers and offering a package for every distribution (debian based ones may be compatible to each other).
This is why I secretly don't want to support linux at all in any of my games. <_< >_>

The game got 19,000 downloads in 2 hours and 15 minutes. That's... a lot of people playing the game. :o

So far there have one or two bugs in LÖVE revealed by the mari0 userbase, and one or two more which might either be LÖVE's or mari0's issue but we don't know which yet.
Last edited by slime on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
zmlka
Prole

Post by zmlka »

I've noticed that Mari0 is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 3.0.

I don't actually anything about licensing, but q66 recently let me know that CC licenses are not recommended for software.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Damn, this is mighty fine.

I suck, though, so I didn't make it past the second level for both the Mario and Portal worlds.

So... number one for the Märch showcase?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

zmlka wrote:I've noticed that Mari0 is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 3.0.

I don't actually anything about licensing, but q66 recently let me know that CC licenses are not recommended for software.
That's not much concerning since already Mari0 is cloning other games gameplay concepts and using copyrighted characters. So the project IP like others clones/derivates are a bit in a copyright imbroglio (http://www.athanshogan.com/2010/04/29/t ... crossover/).
Xgoff
Party member

Post by Xgoff »

zmlka wrote:I've noticed that Mari0 is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 3.0.

i'm not sure if there are any software oss licenses that forbid commercial usage, which may have been a factor in that