love2d -developing on android - what code editor to use?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
blurymind
Prole

love2d -developing on android - what code editor to use?

Post by blurymind »

Now that love2d can run on android,
can you suggest a single code editor that supports love2d code highlighting/autocompletion?

I tried to find one and failed :(
Positive07
Party member

Re: love2d -developing on android - what code editor to use?

Post by Positive07 »

Atom + LÖVE-Atom + build-love is my current setup. There is also an hyperclick-love package that make love functions a link to it's page in the wiki.

But nowadays most editors support the Lua syntax and some kind of helper targeting LÖVE.

If you also want some kind of debugging facility, live-reload and whatnot there is Zerobrane Studio, targeted at Lua development. To me it's too hard to customize to my needs and it's looks are a little bit distracting and "outdated" but it's tools are really attractive and useful! So don't let my personal experience discourage you. Also Paul tends to be here on the forums so you can ask him whatever you need and support is really nice!
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

I think he was asking about development tools on android, not for android.

It is a pretty difficult question because as far as I'm aware there are hardly any development tools whatsoever on mobile, and at the same time market is absolutely oversaturated with shovelware of all sorts. I've tried a lot of things but I've settled for DroidEdit, which isn't particularly good too. I don't build anything, instead I use framework's ability to run from a special directory, I just save files there, and so a text editor is all I use. It of course doesn't have autocompletion.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

raidho36 wrote:I think he was asking about development tools on android, not for android.

It is a pretty difficult question because as far as I'm aware there are hardly any development tools whatsoever on mobile, and at the same time market is absolutely oversaturated with shovelware of all sorts. I've tried a lot of things but I've settled for DroidEdit, which isn't particularly good too. I don't build anything, instead I use framework's ability to run from a special directory, I just save files there, and so a text editor is all I use. It of course doesn't have autocompletion.
I'm 100% with you on this, using the same app, doing it the same way.
Though for what its worth, i'd settle for a decent file synchronizer app that's not btsync, so i could just code on my desktop instead, and push changes realtime onto the phone with a minimal number of steps.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

To develop on Android just install LÖVE for Android

If you want to compile an Android app you just need JDK + Android SDK + NDK + Ant as the instructions say!

No need to change your tools because you won't be writing code for Android but for LÖVE, the compilation is a step just like "copy /b love.exe+game.love game.exe" is a step to "compile" for Windows

I wouldn't recommend to develop ON Android, Android as a developing tool sucks, there are no decent environments (IDE, editors, compilers) so there is no easy way, so just as zorg said, get a good file sync (I personally use Dropbox because I can run files without actuall download them and LÖVE is always used when downloading .love files) and then write .love files from your PC with the same tools you develop for other OS (which could be the ones I mentioned)

Sorry if I misread the issue...

Also I would love to see a better code editor for Android!! So if you know of a good one please tell us!
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
blurymind
Prole

Post by blurymind »

I see.. so basically there is not one single text code editor on android that can even do color coding of teh Love2d API
:(

Is there no code editor by the community that can do android?

I want to have love2d api:
- color coding of built in love functions
- autocompletion
-possibly collapse and uncollapse code blocks
- search/search and replace

and of course the code editor must be an android app
blurymind
Prole

Post by blurymind »

basically without a decent code editor (at least syntax color coding), writing a love2d game ON android is still shit
blurymind
Prole

Post by blurymind »

There is a syntax love2d package for vim and vim has an android port called vimtouch that claims to be capable of installing syntax plugins.

I can not however get it to install anything :(
fyregryph
Prole

Post by fyregryph »

Quickedit is fairly nice for editing Lua, and FX and X-plore are decent file managers that fill in each other's weaknesses pretty well.

Making a Love Android ide would be a good way to learn Android app dev, hmm maybe someday....

Though, coding on the phone is incredibly annoying, so I never really do it :P
ExtraTerrestrial
Prole

Post by ExtraTerrestrial »

I have been useing quoda for a text editor on Android it highlights Lua and comet as an IED if that helps there is also enlightened I think is the name is an open source code editor