Your Love-ing Style

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
yetneverdone
Party member

Your Love-ing Style

Post by yetneverdone »

Anybody here who use Sublime Text 2/3 as their main editor? What theme or plugins do you use?

Share how your love-ing way looks like! XD

Here is mine: APROSOPO DARK THEME
Screenshot_2016-12-05_13-43-31.png
Screenshot_2016-12-05_13-43-31.png (100.82 KiB) Viewed 9823 times
ken.athomos
Citizen

Re: Your Love-ing Style

Post by ken.athomos »

I'm still using the default dark theme of Sublime Text and the default Love/Lua Syntax Highlights. I haven't really tried searching for themes since I've become used to the default theme.

Sir_Silver
Party member

Post by Sir_Silver »

Ain't pretty but it gets the job done. Syntax highlighting is actually Garry's Mod Lua. :P

Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

I prefer GVim because I can use it everywhere and it's good for multiple languages.
Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 13.51.35.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 13.51.35.png (186 KiB) Viewed 9701 times
Doctory
Party member

Post by Doctory »

I use Atom. Its a great editor and it is very customizable. I use gruvbox as the syntax theme and the Atom Material as the UI theme.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Murii wrote:I prefer GVim because I can use it everywhere and it's good for multiple languages.
-img-
Are you making a sequel to this? Because I think that would be really cool. One of the best LOVE games, IMHOP.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
theresaspyaroundhere
Prole

Post by theresaspyaroundhere »

Should I continue using Zerobrane Studios, or should I use Atom?
easy82
Party member

Post by easy82 »

I use ZeroBrane Studio which has built-in code completion for Love2D, debugging tools and a quick way to start your game - just press F5. :) The dark theme theme is Monokai.
zbs.jpg
zbs.jpg (133.63 KiB) Viewed 9566 times
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

theresaspyaroundhere wrote:Should I continue using Zerobrane Studios, or should I use Atom?
For begginners I still recommend Zerobrane. The debugging capabilities it provides can't be easily matched. Plus if you are only writing Lua code it's the best you can have.

If you write in other languages, say JavaScript, Python, whatever... I recommend a more general text editor with good plugin support (Atom, Sublime and VS are the bests)

If you want more customizability, Atom with some work can probably match ZeroBrane in debugging capabilities, I would argue that it could even outmatch it if someone developed the right plugins... Of course Atom is more resource-hungry (disk space, memory, cpu)

My current Atom configuration:
  • Has a nice theme by using a combination of Geneus+Material-Palenight (I actually prefere to have good aesthetics and contrast in my editor so this is a plus for me)
  • Provides snippets and autocompletion using LÖVE-Atom
  • It tells me if there are errors in my code while I'm writting it (yeah even before actually testing the code) thanks to linter-luacheck
  • Lets me launch the game with a keypress (F7) and I get the console output directly on Atom, plus when there is an error it lets me go directly to the line that caused the problem, all this thanks to build-love
  • I could make some hotreloading with Lume+Lurker but I don't actually use it that much.
  • It's still lacking on pretty printing Lua data (say table and functions) in the console but I could use Inspect to do that
  • I don't have breakpoints nor replay but I could probably implement a plugin around Mobdebug which is what Zerobrane uses
Here is a picture, of the autocomplete and theme:
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
alloyed
Citizen

Post by alloyed »

I'm going to post here instead of the other editor thread because all of my important devtools exist inside my game instead of my editor

Bullet points:
* I use neovim inside a terminal. I don't think I have any love/lua specific plugins, actually. The color scheme is solarized-dark.
* My main debugging tool is repler. I run love from its own terminal just so I can have uninterrupted access to the repl.
* To help me work on specific situations, I have a bunch of debug functions and a robust quicksave system, so I don't have to waste too much time trying to get that situation to occur naturally: just set up the test in the repl, quick save, and then quick load until the game does what I want it to.
* My other debugging tool, and it always surprises me how useful this actually is, is just a special global variable. Whatever I put in this variable goes on the screen, using a lightly modified inspect.lua. This gives me a lot of insight on how my program actually runs, and how objects change over time, and since I can always edit an object using the repl, I get about 80% of a property editor in about 5 lines of code.
* I have a code-reloading system, but instead of reloading automatically, I just press a button to either reload the code or reset the game entirely. The same system that reloads code also reloads the spritesheets/sound fx automatically, which is a handy crutch for my subpar art abilities. I used to have an inotify-based system, but since I save compulsively would just show me an error message way too often instead of giving me feedback.
EDIT: link to image: https://love2d.org/imgmirrur/TjeJJQA.png