OpenAL EFX implementation

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
zorg
Party member

Re: OpenAL EFX implementation

Post by zorg »

Yes, sorry; should have done it before, here's ikroth's sone library.
Note that for now, it's only a Filter, Amp(+Fading), Pan library; no "special" effects like delay, reverb, distortion, etc.
Should technically work with 0.10.2 as well, but from 0.11 onwards, realtime effects are even more possible since queuable sources have been implemented.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Ikroth
Citizen

Post by Ikroth »

zorg wrote:Yes, sorry; should have done it before, here's ikroth's sone library.
Note that for now, it's only a Filter, Amp(+Fading), Pan library; no "special" effects like delay, reverb, distortion, etc.
Should technically work with 0.10.2 as well, but from 0.11 onwards, realtime effects are even more possible since queuable sources have been implemented.
I am planning on updating it to use queueable sources when 0.11 comes out, because that seems to be the main request that everyone had. I'd prefer to leave things like reverb to OpenAL since it is significantly more difficult to get it to sound "right."
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

This is amazing! It's really great that Löve audio receives some love.

What may be helpful to someone is that Ardour has support for Lua scripting and a bunch of simple plug-ins have been written for it. Some are good enough to be included in ardour and done by people who know what they re doing (like Robin Gareus). There should be some good DSP code in there Those can be found here: https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/tree/master/scripts
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

murks wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:27 pm What may be helpful to someone is that Ardour has support for Lua scripting and a bunch of simple plug-ins have been written for it. Some are good enough to be included in ardour and done by people who know what they re doing (like Robin Gareus). There should be some good DSP code in there Those can be found here: https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/tree/master/scripts
All the DSP code is inside the ardour.DSP "namespace" (see https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/tree/m ... ibs/ardour or https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/blob/m ... _filter.cc for a concrete example), which aren't lua scripts; you basically linked all the yak shavings that are needed because the scripting system exists.

The C code could be adapted, but again, it might use techniques not really suited for neither lua nor luaJIT, meaning more work to make sure that it doesn't work in sub-optimal time.

But, i do agree with you on how awesome it is that Löve audio stuff is something that's happening.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

You're right, there's less good stuff in there than I thought there was. It is all tied in with ardour and would need to be adapted. Some scripts there contain actual DSP code: https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/blob/m ... owPass.lua and https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/blob/m ... synth1.lua
I'm confident that this will grow, Lua scripting and even integrating plugins with ardour is a rather recent thing. Maybe it will become useful over time.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Could be! :3
As for me though, i'd prefer implementing a DAW in Löve itself.
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Is there an actual Sample to test new EFX abilities?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I haven't made one, maybe raidho did, though i only faintly remember one lua file on hastebin full of functions, it may have only been a reference...
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

SiENcE wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:58 am Is there an actual Sample to test new EFX abilities?
Here's a complete testing script. It's straightforward enough (sans GUI but it never is), you'll figure it out.
Attachments
efx.lua
(12.65 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

raidho36 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:29 pm
SiENcE wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:58 am Is there an actual Sample to test new EFX abilities?
Here's a complete testing script. It's straightforward enough (sans GUI but it never is), you'll figure it out.

Thanks very much! Testcode looks very usefull.

I give feedback as soon as I have it ready in my game.