LÖVE Jam

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Positive07
Party member

Re: LÖVE Jam

Post by Positive07 »

Basecode I understand as being a generic base, template or framework, including many different libraries bound together in order to facilitate the creation of a new game. But I don't think no one is gonna complain about you using something you started long time ago.

If you feel bad about it then don't do it, also if you need more feedback just post your existent code, LudumDare has a similar rule where if the existent code is open source and published, and anyone can use it to create a game from it then it is allowed... But maybe sheepolution, rxi or josefnpat can clarify more.

I have a great idea for the jam but controls will be troublesome, also I need to learn [wiki]love.physics[/wiki], luckily it doesn't require many assets! Music would be cool but I suck... so maybe I'll participate... who knows
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

base could normally means a project template. Instead of starting with an empty project, you can start with a project that has your libraries already hooked up, etc. That might be a strict definition. Here is an example of the project framework we use for Ludum Dare: basically, it has all the non-game-specific stuff (ie boilerplate code) already written.

https://github.com/excessive/ldex
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
bgordebak
Party member

Post by bgordebak »

It sounds fantastic! I'm in! I hope I can come up with a good idea till then.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Glad someone is picking up the LÖVE-themed game jam hammer. :3
Hopefully it will be a more successful than my futile attempts at reviving this thing!
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
DanielPower
Citizen

Post by DanielPower »

Thankfully the timing perfectly coinsides with the beginning of my semester break. And I found out about it just before informing my employer of my availability change. So I will be completely free to work on the game jam for the entirety of the three days.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Sir_Silver wrote:My friends and I were discussing the rules of the jam and we were unclear about this rule:
"The game must be made during the jam — existing basecode and libraries can be used"
What exactly is existing basecode, and can unfinished code written for a game a long time ago be considered existing basecode?
In my interpretation, "the game" is the actual content (both assets and code relevant to this game itself), and the "base code" is all the yak shavings one needs to code in order for the game related code to fit/function; similarly with libraries.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

I have started to "work" on my entry, I have downloaded useful libraries (gamera, HC, SUIT, LÖVE splash and Middleclass), to get familiar with them, making some tests and examples throughout the upcoming weeks.

I've downloaded some sound effects that I intend to combine and mix later on, have been hearing music that may serve as placeholder since I don't think I will be able to create good music for the game... I may try though depending on the time.

I intend to create some test code this weeks to test if some special effects I would like to have in the game would work, I will make ugly code though and will rewrite it throughout the JAM.

I also want a way to create maps fast, possibly using SVG polygons so I need a way to export that, if someone has ideas please tell me, gonna investigate GeoJSON and similar stuff.

And lastly I need to make some tests on touch controls, swiple, long-press and similar and how that would behave with multitouch... since that could be a cool addition to the game mechanic I want to explore.

I'll leave actual coding of the game and asset creation to the JAM, for now this is just testing and nothing will be definitive, I also intend to post my code in github so every test I'll be making this weeks will be uploaded to a repository so anyone that wants to use it in their game will be able to do so... I wouldn't recommend it though
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
bgordebak
Party member

Post by bgordebak »

I've posted this on jam's community page, but I don't know if anyone looks there. So here's my question again:

This is my first jam on itch.io, so I don't know. I joined the jam, but it doesn't show in my Game Jams page. Will it show up at the time of the jam? Or when I submit?
Tanner
Party member

Post by Tanner »

When you submit.
bgordebak
Party member

Post by bgordebak »

Tanner wrote:When you submit.
Thanks.