Does the Android version of Love on the Play Store support JIT and FFI?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
therektafire
Prole

Does the Android version of Love on the Play Store support JIT and FFI?

Post by therektafire »

I remember reading somewhere that there were problems with the LuaJIT implementation on Android and iOS for Love that caused them to be disabled by default (namely, the fact LuaJIT basically isnt allowed to run on iOS and executable memory issues on Android). To be fair I think it was a kind of old post though so I'm not sure if it holds true today.

I also wanted to know if C FFI is working in this version.
zorg
Party member

Re: Does the Android version of Love on the Play Store support JIT and FFI?

Post by zorg »

FFI does work, but without JIT, it'll be slower. No idea if the Android bug was fixed or not, the iOS "bug" will probably never will be "fixed" though. :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Note that you can enable JIT in runtime anyway. But it may not actually improve performance under certain circumstances.

Code: Select all

jit.on ( )
Attachments
test.love
(531 Bytes) Downloaded 167 times
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

therektafire wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 6:36 amTo be fair I think it was a kind of old post though so I'm not sure if it holds true today.

I also wanted to know if C FFI is working in this version.
Still true unfortunately. The FFI works even with JIT compilation disabled, but it's fairly slow without it.
therektafire
Prole

Post by therektafire »

Yeah, I read up on that, apparently it is slower to use FFI with JIT off than it is to use vanilla Lua in most cases :O Huh, I wonder how fast FFI with JIT off is compared to FFI + buggy Android JIT, probably the same if not even slower... Will probably test this at some point, when i feel like it :)
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

I've posted a test file above, on my phone the difference is almost 2 orders of magnitude. But that's only with FFI. Not sure what is the difference between plain Lua and FFI JIT code.