Very high CPU usage on Debian 8

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
amir
Prole

Very high CPU usage on Debian 8

Post by amir »

I have installed the latest version of love from the source. I downloaded some games from the wiki page, but running all of them makes a very high CPU usage of over 350%!! So my question is that the normal CPU usage of running Love-games? Why do they need so much of CPU?

Any help is appreciated.
amir
Prole

Re: Very high CPU usage on Debian 8

Post by amir »

Any one having the same problem on a linux machine?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Apparently not; löve should not use that much CPU at all... (Also, it's weird how CPU usage could go over 100%... maybe it counts cores separately and adds the percentages together?)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
amir
Prole

Post by amir »

zorg wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 6:14 pm Apparently not; löve should not use that much CPU at all... (Also, it's weird how CPU usage could go over 100%... maybe it counts cores separately and adds the percentages together?)
Can i ask what your Operating System is and what your average CPU usage on it when you run a ready Love game?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

0.55% CPU usage for me running the (0.10.2) no-game screen; Win7 x64.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Macsek
Prole

Post by Macsek »

My badly optimized game with game with lots of animations,canvases,tweens averages at 4% CPU and 50MB ram.
I'm using Arch.

Just get the deb file from the frontpage.
amir
Prole

Post by amir »

Macsek wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 7:02 pm My badly optimized game with game with lots of animations,canvases,tweens averages at 4% CPU and 50MB ram.
I'm using Arch.

Just get the deb file from the frontpage.
WOW! This is a nice CPU number! I also installed love from the synaptic, the result was the same. It is strange
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Do you have similar problems with other applications and games?
lune
Prole

Post by lune »

ArchLinux , kernel 4.10.11
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz
8 Gb ram.

Running love 0.10.2 (title screen):

Code: Select all

%CPU	VIRT	RES	COMMAND
	13,9	204,6m  32,6m	love           
	5,3	310,2m  64,9m	Xorg       
I've included Xorg too, because the % of total load must consider this too (Xorg is doig display tasks too, and is below 1% when love is not running).

With love-hg (aka love 0.11), results are worse: 18% (love-hg) + 4% (Xorg) just for title screen.

I even restarted Xorg, suspecting some problems with it, but results are the same.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

The only idea i have remaining is this, try testing with -two- empty projects; one with a conf.lua file off of the wiki, and set vsync to false in that (since it's enabled by default).

If the one without vsync takes up way less CPU than the other, then my best guess is that vsync is achieved with a busy-loop, so it actually consumes at least one CPU core... so the easy solution would be to just not use vsync...