Official Discord server

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Sir_Silver
Party member

Re: Official Discord server

Post by Sir_Silver »

I don't really know what the strengths of IRC over something like Discord are. Is there a reason to be using it in 2017 over Discord?
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

It's the current year, just switch already to something new for the sake of switching to something new.

To the point though, Discord is proprietary and does not even allows you hosting on your own hardware. Good luck patching together entire community in another chat service once Discord goes under. And, of all voicechat software that rose to prominency, its only rival in how anti-freedom it is, is Skype.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

Unless I'm mistake, this Forum is the center of mass for the community. If discord collapses, the community would use this forum to discuss its replacement.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

IRC still is and will be extant for a very long time, so that room should not vanish, at least.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
klewis
Prole

Post by klewis »

slime wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:12 pm I've set up an official Discord server for LÖVE at https://discord.gg/rhUets9 . It's still in its infancy so feedback is welcome!

The IRC channel is still around of course, and I'll continue to be active there. Discord is generally more accessible than IRC however (despite discord's future not being entirely dependable), so I feel like having an official LÖVE presence on both platforms makes sense.
Thanks for setting this up.