Love2d vs Gideros

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
JYinc
Prole

Love2d vs Gideros

Post by JYinc »

Hey guys.
I know this is old and boring question but Im almost new to game developing and I really wanna get your tiny advices.

My goal games' style is like 2d top-down (e.g. hotline miami) or 2d platformer (e.g. risk of rain) or 2d shooter (e.g. enter the gunjun).

But now I have to choose a engine that can help me to develop more faster. I feel lua as my friend so doen't matter on script launguage but I have some troubles choosing which engine. Between Löve and Gideros.

I know this is love2d forum but Im sure that because love2d requires Lua, there might be someone who have tried Gideros as well.

My main question is this :
1. Do I have to build almost engine with love2d or just simple scripting like unity-script-system?
2. Is there any perfomance difference between Gideros and Love?
3. I know Lua a bit. But do these engines require a high technics of using Lua?

Thx a lot and have a good day. (Ignore my poor grammar)
raidho36
Party member

Re: Love2d vs Gideros

Post by raidho36 »

I took a quick look at Gideros and it seems to be equivalent to LÖVE all around. The core difference I see is that it's slightly heavier geared towards mobile. It has some mobile-specific features LÖVE doesn't have (e.g. GPS, accelerometer, gyro), but also it's missing some of non-mobile-specific features LÖVE has (it doesn't seem to support joysticks for whatever reason, etc.). And, importantly, its API is designed to be flash-like, which is a huge downside in my opinion. Such API design has innumerable issues, but possibly the biggest one is that doing any non-trivial graphics effects takes jumping though all sorts of hoops, which would have been easy with normal graphics API.
xNick1
Party member

Post by xNick1 »

My first question also was "Can I do a hotline miami game in Love?" eheh
The answer is yes, even though it's gonna take some time.
You can just scroll through the wiki and do stuff.
I didn't know anything about game development, love or lua until last year.
I chose love cause it is tiny (only a couple mb to download), it is opensource and it has no editor to learn.

I'm having fun with it so far.
It's fast for me to develop stuff.
Sometimes I reinvented the wheel, I preferred to write something simple for my game rather than using a library with 1000 functions (but you can just fork a library anyway).

You said you're interested in 2d platformers, you could check out my Aarstider in the games section to get an idea, but you can basically do anything with Love.

Again, I don't have experience with any other game engines and I'm not a proper game developer, but the last thing I can say is that Love community is awesome, and those guys helped me more than one time.
If you're good at asking for help, you're gonna learn a lot in a few time!
Last edited by xNick1 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

JYinc wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 am My main questions are these:
1. Do I have to build almost engine with love2d or just simple scripting like unity-script-system?
2. Is there any perfomance difference between Gideros and Love?
3. I know Lua a bit. But do these engines require a high technics of using Lua?
1. Since löve's a framework, i'd guess the amount of work you'll have to do would approach the former; no IDE to work with, for example.
2. No idea, but Löve is pretty fast in its own right.
3. You can always brush up on things you don't know by "taking the PiL" :D
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.