Should you ever disclose the fact that a game is made with love2d when releasing a game?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
kicknbritt
Citizen

Should you ever disclose the fact that a game is made with love2d when releasing a game?

Post by kicknbritt »

So just a few questions, but what is your guys input on putting a "made with love2d" logo as in intro to my game?
Due to the open source nature of love2d I was a bit relectant to do this, so any feedback or potential warnings you guys have would be nice.
Also, the app will utilize a central server, a client side apk, and ssl encryption. Nothing vitally important will be stored on the client side.
The server is also written in lua using tcp with luasocket.

Any advice on potential security risks involving above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D
"I AM THE ARBITER!!!" *Pulls out Energy sword and kills everything*
erasio
Party member

Re: Should you ever disclose the fact that a game is made with love2d when releasing a game?

Post by erasio »

You are not forced to add such a display. But honestly. Think about how much you gained from this framework.

If someone wants to reverse engineer your game and find out how it works. It won't take a lot of time until they figured it out. The game files are clearly missing / the .exe too large or the file will be named .love.

Clear pointers and not too long after they'll have your source code.

I would mention the framework in the credits. That's the least one can do.

And not worry too much about it. Add a license to your code and make sure to not blindly trust client data. Then you should be good.
ivan
Party member

Re: Should you ever disclose the fact that a game is made with love2d when releasing a game?

Post by ivan »

Somewhat of a strangely-worded question: nothing prevents you form disclosing this information,
in fact the license probably prohibits claiming that you created Love2D yourself.
Any advice on potential security risks involving above would be greatly appreciated
Sure, although none of the "security risks" are specific to love2d.
In short, as long as the game logic runs on an independent server then you should be fairly safe.
Of course, there are many other challenges related to creating a smooth multiplayer experience.
kicknbritt
Citizen

Post by kicknbritt »

Okay thank you two for the replies. I'm probably going to add in some sort of intro to my game, but I just wanted some external feedback about the idea. I am assuming the challenges pertaining to multiplayer are cheating.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

If your game is vulnerable to someone locally editing memory data, then a simple cheat software could do the business, no need to hack anything. If someone hacked the game and distributed hacked version so that multiple people can play hacked version, then it's a mod.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

I am assuming the challenges pertaining to multiplayer are cheating
No, cheating is a problem when your game already has a large player-base.
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

This thread reminded me of how I found Love2D in the first place: when I wanted to study the source code of Duck Marines.
kicknbritt
Citizen

Post by kicknbritt »

raidho36 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:32 am If your game is vulnerable to someone locally editing memory data, then a simple cheat software could do the business, no need to hack anything. If someone hacked the game and distributed hacked version so that multiple people can play hacked version, then it's a mod.
Wouldn't storing all the valuable data on the server solve this issue? I mean, all I really give the client is player stats, enemy moves, enemy battle stats etc.. and all that info is stored inside the server.
kicknbritt
Citizen

Post by kicknbritt »

ivan wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:31 am
I am assuming the challenges pertaining to multiplayer are cheating
No, cheating is a problem when your game already has a large player-base.
So then what were the challenges your talking about? Is it just making the UI, stat Balancing, etc. ?
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

kicknbritt wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:53 amSo then what were the challenges your talking about? Is it just making the UI, stat Balancing, etc. ?
Depends on the type of game you are trying to make, action games are generally more difficult.
If you've never made a multiplayer game before I suggest starting with local multiplayer.