issue with circle pong collision detection

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
narradream
Prole

issue with circle pong collision detection

Post by narradream »

SO, I made the following simple circle pong toy. I am having issues with getting the correct angle . I'm getting negative values for the top-half of the circle ?! how can I just get 0 -> 360 ?!
https://github.com/Sweetkubuni/circle_pong
davisdude
Party member

Re: issue with circle pong collision detection

Post by davisdude »

In your function LineAngle, replace math.atan with math.atan2 and replace the division sign with a comma.

Specifically, note the differences between the parameters for math.atan and math.atan2 in the Lua 5.1 documentation. Also note that math.atan2 was deprecated in 5.3 (emphasis mine):
Lua 5.3 Reference Manual wrote:The following functions were deprecated in the mathematical library: atan2, cosh, sinh, tanh, pow, frexp, and ldexp. You can replace math.pow(x,y) with x^y; you can replace math.atan2 with math.atan, which now accepts one or two parameters; you can replace math.ldexp(x,exp) with x * 2.0^exp. For the other operations, you can either use an external library or implement them in Lua.
LOVE uses LuaJit, which is compatible with Lua 5.1, so it shouldn't be an issue. Just something to be aware of.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
narradream
Prole

Post by narradream »

davisdude wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:39 pm In your function LineAngle, replace math.atan with math.atan2 and replace the division sign with a comma.

Specifically, note the differences between the parameters for math.atan and math.atan2 in the Lua 5.1 documentation. Also note that math.atan2 was deprecated in 5.3 (emphasis mine):
Lua 5.3 Reference Manual wrote:The following functions were deprecated in the mathematical library: atan2, cosh, sinh, tanh, pow, frexp, and ldexp. You can replace math.pow(x,y) with x^y; you can replace math.atan2 with math.atan, which now accepts one or two parameters; you can replace math.ldexp(x,exp) with x * 2.0^exp. For the other operations, you can either use an external library or implement them in Lua.
LOVE uses LuaJit, which is compatible with Lua 5.1, so it shouldn't be an issue. Just something to be aware of.
I did what you suggest. Though, I think atan2 takes the arguments as atan2(x,y) ; anyway, I tried running the folder on lovec.exe, but whenever the ball hits the circle my game crashes (well stops).
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

atan2 takes arguments in the order of y,x; as a matter of fact; you may be expecting 0 degrees/radians to point in a direction other than it actually does, though.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
narradream
Prole

Post by narradream »

I think I found the issue for doing collision here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/630 ... 20#6312520