Basic Platformer Tutorial Series On YouTube

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
lucasblack
Prole

Basic Platformer Tutorial Series On YouTube

Post by lucasblack »

Hi lovers! I'm making a tutorial series which will try to show how to make a relatively simple 2D platformer and am trying to get the word out. I only have the first video out right now which covers basic player movement and platformer physics, but I'm currently working on adding more videos to the series. The goal is to make a platformer using the bump.lua collision library and some basic game objective. I really would like to hear suggestions and advice on what I can do better! The target audience for this series is geared more towards beginners, but I can imagine intermediates may learn a thing or two in future videos. Anyways, please check it out, bookmark it for the future when there will be a more fleshed out tutorial series :awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TnZwksL5qw
lucasblack
Prole

New tutorial about collision with bump.lua!

Post by lucasblack »

Hi lovers! I've added a new tutorial about implementing collision with bump.lua! I really enjoy using bump.lua because of its simplicity and efficiency, so I've decided to use it in my platformer tutorial series instead of reinventing the wheel. I would be happy to hear any suggestions, questions, or advice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9130QVn ... e=youtu.be
grump
Party member

Re: Basic Platformer Tutorial Series On YouTube

Post by grump »

THANKS
lucasblack
Prole

New episode on creating a jump mechanic!

Post by lucasblack »

Hi lovers! I've added a new tutorial about implementing jumping! The tutorial is pretty short, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDVZchjddbQ
Sir_Silver
Party member

Post by Sir_Silver »

Pretty cool stuff there, keep it up!
jojomickymack
Prole

Post by jojomickymack »

Great tutorials! You asked for advice and suggestions, I thought I'd give you some constructive criticism that might help your viewers.

The first thing I'd wish tutorials would do is show the finished project at the very beginning of the video. That way, as you explain all the parts of the program, the viewer already can picture what the point of it all is because they've already seen it. I've seen a lot of videos like this where the teacher thinks that viewers want to watch them type and describe the code - as the saying goes - "show, don't tell".

The other thing I noticed is that the code isn't available for download. Is your expectation that a beginner is going to copy the code from the screen in order to get a working example? No one should have to do that - just push it to a github repo and provide the link in the description.

Taking these points into consideration may help your viewers get more out of this sort of content.
lucasblack
Prole

Post by lucasblack »

Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah I need to put up a repo, I made the mistake of not creating one in the first episode. I like the idea of showing what will be made in the beginning :)
lucasblack
Prole

Building Levels With Tiled

Post by lucasblack »

Hi lovers! I released a new video about creating levels using exported map data from the Tiled editor. I'll be posting a repo with branches of each episode on GitHub soon as well. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fkHtw3bTwA
mccarthy
Prole

Post by mccarthy »

Hey Lucas, enjoying the tutorial series! Stumbled upon your roguelike timelapse video a few weeks back and was wondering if you had any plans to do a basic roguelike tutorial?

Keep up the good work!
Animatrix
Prole

Post by Animatrix »

Hi. Good tutorial. Can you make tutorials for other genres of games.It seems that 90% of tutorials are for platformers...