How can i upload my game on steam?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
JYinc
Prole

How can i upload my game on steam?

Post by JYinc »

Well if I make my game then do i have to use C or C++ to use steam api?

My friends told me that I shold use steam api to upload my games on it.
I just thought that just EXE.file can be uploaded but isnt that true?

Thx.
zorg
Party member

Re: How can i upload my game on steam?

Post by zorg »

First, you will have to go the Steam Direct thing, which is how you register as a new game dev;
then you will need to cough up 100 USD (amount and denomination may be region dependent though) to submit one game title.

Now, as far as i know, it may be possible for the submitted game to not use their API at all, if you don't need/want functions like achievements, workshop support and the like, but don't quote me on this.

On the other hand, quite a few games got on steam that were made with Löve; you could probably see how they did it or something... If you search this forum, you can find a few other threads talking about methods to using Steam's API in their games.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
shru
Prole

Post by shru »

https://github.com/SeStudio/steamworks-lua-integration This is probably relevant to your interests.
itchtwittergithub
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

zorg wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:53 amNow, as far as i know, it may be possible for the submitted game to not use their API at all, if you don't need/want functions like achievements, workshop support and the like, but don't quote me on this.
True, Steamworks integration is optional. Nevertheless, Steam customers have high standards and naturally expect things like achievements, leaderboards and even multiplayer.